Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent

/ Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent #1  

Oldtoad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310, Bolens-Isiki
Sometimes it starts, sometimes not while shifted into neutral.
Did a search, checked the manual and even Youtube.
Where is the rascal, gonna troubleshoot it and fix it, not bypass it.

/ Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent #2  
The switch is located in the transmission case. Look for the wire exiting the case near the gear range stick or(sticks if it is not a synchro).

/ Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent
The switch is located in the transmission case. Look for the wire exiting the case near the gear range stick or(sticks if it is not a synchro).

Thanks Chander,
I sprayed electrical contact cleaner down the shifter shaft and it started. Might have been a coincidence.
Raining here now, cannot fix my leaking roof in the rain and I need to hunt this down when it is not raining.

/ Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent #4  
It has been a long time since I had to trouble shoot a 1710, but I think the switch will be grounded when it is in neutral and open when in gear.
That switch is connected to a relay that uses the ground from the safety switch to close the relay that lets it start.
I will check my books and see if I remembered right.

/ Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent #5  
Disconnect the electrical connector near the transmission case. Put it in neutral and check for continuity from that plug to ground.
If you have low resistance, the switch is good. If you don't, the switch needs adjustment or is dirty.
The safety switch uses a magnet reed switch. The magnets are attached to the shift rails. It is possible that the switch has fine metal shavings effecting the switch movement.

Disconnect the electrical connector near the transmission case. Put it in neutral and check for continuity from that plug to ground.
If you have low resistance, the switch is good. If you don't, the switch needs adjustment or is dirty.
The safety switch uses a magnet reed switch. The magnets are attached to the shift rails. It is possible that the switch has fine metal shavings effecting the switch movement.

Chander,
Huge help, thanks so much.
Will let you know when we get 'er done, what is found.

Ahhh, it has kept working.
Hard to troubleshoot while working.
Happy about that though.

/ Ford 1710 Neutral Switch Intermittent #8  
" if it aint broke dont fix it"

If it acts up again we will get to the bottom of it.