Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #11  
Hi,
Just joined the site. I to have an 85 1710 and had same problem when helping a neighbor. I had to get it to our property so I jumped the starter with a screw driver taking a chance of shorting out the solenoid, however I did get it started and drove home. Found out the neutral reed switch connection was faulty so I jumped it and by passed the seat switch and it started once with the key so I traced the wires to the safety relay, tapped it, turned the key and it fired up. I replaced the wiring from the reed switch in the tranny and all wires to the 4 connections on the safety relay and the relay, I have not had a problem since. I used marine grade wires and soldered connections and purchased a bosh type 20 -30 amp relay from local auto parts to replace the safety relay.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #12  
Good on you for a helpful first post. And welcome!
Jim

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #13  
Hi everyone,
You guys helped me with my pto problem and I really appreciate it. Now I still have a starting problem. It will not start with the key although glow plugs warm up ok and battery charges in on position. I replaced the safety relay thinking that was it and I don't think the solenoid is the problem because it starts when I jump it with a screw driver.I am going to remove the dash and ohm out the switch to the starter connection. Also checked the neutral reed switch and it ohms out ok. Any ideas?.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #14  
Use a test lamp, follow the volts. see if you have power at the key switch start terminal, if yes, move down the wire to the next connection, then next, etc.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #15  
Sounds great, I will do that.
Thanks.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #16  
Keep us posted

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #17  
Hi everyone,
Update on the starting problem, went ahead and followed all wires and changed whatever looked questionable still no go so I jumped the starter switch at the switch and it started once and never again so I'm back to the screw driver at the solenoid. Anyway have a more pressing issue.
Installed a new radiator today. Seconds after startup noticed pressure build-up and gushing out the vent. I took the thermostat out and fired up the tractor with cap removed and coolant flew straight up. Now smoking and runs rough. Got a feeling the head gasket or head is cracked also knocks louder than before maybe a valve too.
The tractor is an hour and half away so it's hard for me to work on it. I will begin back this week to remove the head and inspect it.
Any ideas?

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #18  
you won't know much till you get it to where you can work on it.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #19  
Hi everyone,
Took the head off and found the head gasket was torn passing compression to cooling port. Also noticed #1 cylinder had something beating the head and had found its way out the exhaust. The piston looks good although I did found to large metal chunks blocking coolant port held only in place by the head gasket, must have been part of the casting. Good news, head is not cracked but having it shaved and valves + seats
done because compression test came back 130, 130 and 100psi. When taking the Prechamber out I noticed one of them was missing the lower seal gasket.
Waiting on valve seals from Jessica to assemble the head.
I would like to clean the injectors before install, any ideas?.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #20  
Head back on, I adjusted the valve clearance, and fired it up on first cranck over.
Very happy how it all turn out. New solid extra row aluminum radiator, hoses and radiator cap.
Looks and runs great. Now I'm going to work on the pto hopefully get that working real good.