Ford 1710 will not stay running.

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running. #1  

bill42tude

Tractor
Ford 1710 4x4 with loader
Good evening friends. I have an issue with my Ford 1710 tractor. I started my tractor this afternoon after a long cold spell here in upstate NY without issue. Plenty of battery and only 30 seconds on glow plug. Loader plowed and scooped for hours when tractor stalled out. Noticed temp gauge on the hot side and let sit for an hour. Tried to restart with glow plug and seemingly strong battery, tractor would start and run for a few seconds before stalling out time after time. Seems like a fuel issue but unsure where to look. Yes, i have a half tank of fuel and radiator full of antifreeze. No leaks of any kind witnessed under tractor. Until this moment the tractor had been working fine. Still starts but will not run for more than a few seconds. I have not done any diagnosis yet. Anyone have an idea where to start ? The temperature at time of stall was 30 degrees if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance.

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running.
A new fuel filter and anti gel fuel conditioner.

RickB, sounds like a good inexpensive start. Thanks for your knowledge.

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running. #4  
Can you see any water or any other dirt in the fuel separator? I would recommend changing the fuel filter first. With the fuel bowl opened up, turn the fuel shut off open and see if fuel freely flows from the tank.

Also check for kinked or cracking of the fuel line from the filter to injection pump.

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running.

Can you see any water or any other dirt in the fuel separator? I would recommend changing the fuel filter first. With the fuel bowl opened up, turn the fuel shut off open and see if fuel freely flows from the tank.

Also check for kinked or cracking of the fuel line from the filter to injection pump.
Chander: Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am going to purchase a new filter along with O rings this afternoon. Seems like you and RickB are thinking along the same lines. The tractor now sits in a field where I can't access very well. Would an inline filter work well enough to get tractor into a garage work space? Of course I would install the fuel conditioner first and bleed the fuel pump after install.

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running. #6  
Time you dick around cobbling an in-line filter in the system you could have changed the OEM filter 3 times. You'll have to remove the plugged filter and bleed the system either way.

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running. #7  
Time you dick around cobbling an in-line filter in the system you could have changed the OEM filter 3 times. You'll have to remove the plugged filter and bleed the system either way.
Agreed. Did the same a few months ago. While changing the filter the bowl just developed a hairline crack as it was the original 40 yr old oem bowl and started leaking. Below is the link for what I bought. Why bleed it twice and have a chance of screwing up the injector nut.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710 will not stay running. #8  
Good evening friends. I have an issue with my Ford 1710 tractor. I started my tractor this afternoon after a long cold spell here in upstate NY without issue. Plenty of battery and only 30 seconds on glow plug. Loader plowed and scooped for hours when tractor stalled out. Noticed temp gauge on the hot side and let sit for an hour. Tried to restart with glow plug and seemingly strong battery, tractor would start and run for a few seconds before stalling out time after time. Seems like a fuel issue but unsure where to look. Yes, i have a half tank of fuel and radiator full of antifreeze. No leaks of any kind witnessed under tractor. Until this moment the tractor had been working fine. Still starts but will not run for more than a few seconds. I have not done any diagnosis yet. Anyone have an idea where to start ? The temperature at time of stall was 30 degrees if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance.
i am facing the same problem

/ Ford 1710 will not stay running. #9  
Chander: Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am going to purchase a new filter along with O rings this afternoon. Seems like you and RickB are thinking along the same lines. The tractor now sits in a field where I can't access very well. Would an inline filter work well enough to get tractor into a garage work space? Of course I would install the fuel conditioner first and bleed the fuel pump after install.
Unless you have a fuel filter assembly that is damaged beyond repair, I would keep the factory filter.

You could use a portable fuel tank with a inline filter connected directly to the injection pump to get the tractor moved to a more convenient location. Mostly in the case of contaminated fuel that would take more time to properly clean out.