Ford 1710

/ Ford 1710 #1  

donb2

Bronze Member
I'm looking at this Ford 1710. I'd welcome info and comments on it. What would be a fair price? The bucket has holes rusted through in places and the tires are weathered and cracked, but have tubes.

Hydraulics all work, and everything sounds OK.

Any and all input appreciated!

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    675.2 KB · Views: 2,069
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 624
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    638.1 KB · Views: 1,250
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 1,238
   / Ford 1710 #2  
How many hours are on the machine? What part of the country are you in? It looks a little rough, but could run like a sewing machine. It all makes a difference in price.

/ Ford 1710
How many hours are on the machine? What part of the country are you in? It looks a little rough, but could run like a sewing machine. It all makes a difference in price.

It has 1100 hours on it. I'm in MA.

It does seem to run well, but what do I know??

I'm uncomfortable with the issue of repair parts being an difficult to find and/ or pricey.

Thanks for your comment!

/ Ford 1710 #4  
Yikes, that first picture is almost alarmingly sad. But running a tractor and getting work done isn't a beauty contest! I am looking to get into a nice running CUT myself (this is my first post, actually), and I have seen a fair # of Ford 1600 and 1700 series tractors around here. I don't know why, but people seem to really abuse those things (always left outside, always bashed up grills and loader buckets....)

I don't have enough expertise to quote a fair asking price, but what are they _asking_ for it? I would throw out a random guess of around $5k, assuming the 1100 hours is correct. It has the look of more hours... or all of those 1100 were some heavy duty work!

/ Ford 1710 #5  
I've seen tractors like the 1700, 1710, 1715 go for 3K to 4K in auction - higher for a 4WD\FEL with lower hours. This one doesn't have the looks for sure. Someone posted on how parts are hard to find for the 1700, but not sure about the 1710.

/ Ford 1710 #6  
As an owner of a 1984 1710, yes parts can be hard to get unless you look to a tractor salvage yard. All tractor OE parts are going to be expensive, no matter what brand, model, or year.

That unit has probably spent it's life in the open, hence the rust. The bucket probably was kept in a carrying position so water would have set in it. You could get a salvage bucket for it so that should not be a big issue.

Most of the tractor should be fine as long as the hydraulics work well, it shifts well, and there are no abnormal sounds when running it around the yard in the various gears. This tractor should be able to run out for over 3500 hrs. With this age and exposure the hoses and tires have taken a beating. While the exterior of the hoses are cracked they still will hold pressure. I would probably replace the hoses which can be done from a on-line source noted on this forum for not too much expense. Three of my tires are original and suffer from there age and abuse (tree stumps), but have good thread depth and hold air well.

Other then the sheetmetal, the rust should be surface (bucket exception) and just going to take a fair amount of work to wire brush / grind off, then cover with something like POR15. Normal painting can go over this to make it look pretty again.

I would probably offer 4000 to 4500 for it considering the bucket, hose condition and rust. If the owner knows it's solid underneath, he might stubbornly want a few hundred more.

/ Ford 1710 #7  
   / Ford 1710 #8  
Check the 4WD on the front axle, coolant in oil oil in coolant before buying. :thumbsup:

/ Ford 1710 #9  
I've seen tractors like the 1700, 1710, 1715 go for 3K to 4K in auction - higher for a 4WDFEL with lower hours. This one doesn't have the looks for sure. Someone posted on how parts are hard to find for the 1700, but not sure about the 1710.

where have you seen 1715 go for 3k i would like to find a few good running ones for that where im and they bring around 5k for 2wd no loader and up even at auction

/ Ford 1710 #10  
Being an owner of a very well taken care of 1710, it is sad to see one in this condition. I wouldn't pay much for it, you will be dumping lots of bucks into this guy. Maybe $1500 if it truely does run ok. The money that you think you may be saving by buying something in this condition, in the long run I think you will be putting much more into it. Best of luck to you with what you decide.