Ford 1710

/ Ford 1710 #1  
Tractor
Ford 1710
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a nice Ford 1710 tractor with only 520 hours on it from my boss who's selling his house. This will be my first tractor. It has a front end loader and 4 or 5, 3 point hitch attachments. The back tires have plenty of tred left but the side walls are starting to crack and the valve is rusted out and leaking. It will need two new back tires, or can I just put a tube in them?

Also its been stored outside for at least 5-6 years that I know of. I'm sure it will need the oil and trans fluid and filter changed as its been sitting for the last few years unused. I'm also going to grease all the certs. I started it the other day and it fired right up. Is there anything else I should know about this tractor? Will it be able to move dirt to help build up a small dam wall (5ft) thats starting to deteriorate?
Thanks guys!

/ Ford 1710 #2  
I have no specific advise on this model, but I was warned off of them by someone with some experience on another forum. Saw one on C'list with a loader and backhoe that had not run in some time, not a good price and the current owner knew nothing about it (was his father's). The forum guys said the parts were hard to come by, should something break, although probably available somewhere in the world. I don't believe they were big sellers, Ford's way of getting into the compact market with an import, so probably not many parts available in the junk yards. You might be able to find a clapped out one for parts. If the price is good however you'll have the attachments that will work on another tractor and probably get your use out of a front loader. I've found they can be handy as heck.

You can probably tube the tires, I've been running somewhat cracked fronts and rears with just good tubes on my Ford Ns. Tires are expensive to replace, your choice there.

/ Ford 1710
He's only asking 2k for it. I've heard those tractors are pretty reliable but parts can be hard to find. How many hours can I expect to get out of it before any major overhaul?

/ Ford 1710 #4  
$2,000? With FEL and 4/5 3pt attachments? You don't have it home yet? Without knowing for sure about these I think you are a long way from a major overhaul. Japanese made diesels and tractors are pretty reliable. Is is 2wd or 4wd, I see both available on this model on tractorhouse and tractordate dot com?. Looks like the 4WD has power steering. What attachments come with it? When you get it attach some pictures!

/ Ford 1710
4wd, synchro-mesh trans and power steering I think. Its gonna need two new back tires though. Both are dry rotted and sidewalls are cracking. One can't even hold air, valve stem is rusted out and leaking.

/ Ford 1710 #6  
I took my wheels to the local tire shop (they do a lot of farm tractors) and they pumped in some black stuff that sealed the leaks. In fact they told me I can now run them until the core shows. I did it on my leaky front tires. I cost 10.00 each and I have not had any problem since.

/ Ford 1710 #7  
A 1710 near me that appears similar to what you are looking at, but with more hours and better tires: Ford 1710 tractor

/ Ford 1710 #8  
1710 is a good tractor. We put 3600 hours on one before trading it in on a bigger tractor. The biggest issue is the motor. Very hard to find parts if you need a rebuild. Everything else seems to be available from New Holland

/ Ford 1710
So I found out a little more about the tractor. It was serviced 2 years ago to the tune of $1600. We couldn't find the invoice and the shop changed their computer software and lost the invoice too. So we're not exactly sure what was done but I'm guessing the oil/trans/hydraulic/fuel fluids and filters were changed. The tractor has set unused since the maintenance so my question is do I need to change the fluids again or can I run it?

/ Ford 1710 #10  
Personally, I'd just change the oil (in case there is a lot of water condensation), but not the filter. I'd test the antifreeze to make sure it's up to snuff and not worry about the trans fluid, as long as the level is at the full line.