Ford 1715 Stuck in gear

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #11  
Did you ever find the solution? I am currently experiencing this same issue..
The cure is the same. Checking it is non-destructive and can only help. Take a few pics of the shifter area to see if your rig (1715) is the same or not. Tomorrow I can go to NH website and look at the 1715 shifter and transmission diagram to see where the detent ball is and will advise.

PS. You realize this thread is a bit stale, 10 yr old thread!

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #12  
Attached you can find mechanical illustration of front and rear transmission case for your rig. it is a bit different from 1700 with range selector and gear selector arm. There is detent balls that keep the shifter rod in place. someting is jammed between the detent ball and spring. Might be a broken spring. I just loosen the bolt # 3 ( three in total), do not take #28 off. Raise the rear of tractor and put safely on two jack stands under the axle and see if you can mover the shifter arm. If the tractor is in gear then try to rotate the rear wheel by hand while on the jack stand to see if it jars it lose. Shifter rod #36 and #37 are held in place by the action of a spring , a detent ball and the concave indentation in the shifter. Detent ball and spring are #20 and #21 in the illustration.

Attachments

• Report_10668749143693313259.pdf
    908.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Report_14613127693786740872.pdf
    813.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
   / Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #13  
Looking at the 2nd picture it looks like a normal shifter.
It is not uncommon as tractors get a lot of hours to start having issues.
I've had IH's and Olivers and Allis Chalmers do this.
What has usually happened is that in shifting one rail has stayed in gear and not gone to neutral,
while the shifter has picked up the other rail and picked up a second gear at the same time.

If you look down were the shifter goes down into the top of the rails there should be a slot in each rail.
After blocking the tires so the tractor can't move.
that slot in the shift rails has to line up so the shift lever can move left and right while in neutral.
I used to remove the shift lever and reach in with a big screwdriver and move the rails to put the
slot in the center of travel.
It can be confusing looking down at the rails, they can both be forward or rearward of center and be lined up when
you have two gears at once. Or one all the way forward and the other all the way rearward.

Visually you have a H pattern with a gear at each point of the H and neutral is the middle of the H.
Use a screw driver or bar and start moving the rail and you will be able to find the center of each,
once they are both centered install the shifter and you are good to go.

At time the shifter rod can be lengthened with a bit of welding rod buildup and dressed back to the correct shape to clear the issue up.
Other wise it is a matter of slowing down the shifts and making sure to have a good solid neutral before engaging a gear selection.

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #14  
Thanks for the input guys. I feel the problem is definitely somewhere between the shifter lever and the rods.
The lever itself has a pretty worn ball, and I ordered a new one which came in today. The shift boxes in the bell housing seem to be in good condition.
Many people mention the problem could be with the spring and ball on one of the shift rods. If you look at the diagram above of the front transmission box you can see the shift rods are stacked. #20, #21, and #22 all appear to go down the same hole but the top shift rod is blocking access to the #22 and the lower spring and ball. It appears the only way to get to them is to split the tractor and remove the rods.
I have ordered a new #20, #21, #22, and a lever. I am determined to solve it this weekend (unless it means splitting the rig) so I will post what I find!

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #15  
Thanks for the input guys. I feel the problem is definitely somewhere between the shifter lever and the rods.
The lever itself has a pretty worn ball, and I ordered a new one which came in today. The shift boxes in the bell housing seem to be in good condition.
Many people mention the problem could be with the spring and ball on one of the shift rods. If you look at the diagram above of the front transmission box you can see the shift rods are stacked. #20, #21, and #22 all appear to go down the same hole but the top shift rod is blocking access to the #22 and the lower spring and ball. It appears the only way to get to them is to split the tractor and remove the rods.
I have ordered a new #20, #21, #22, and a lever. I am determined to solve it this weekend (unless it means splitting the rig) so I will post what I find!
I do not think tractor split is needed but transmission cover can be removed non-destructively to expose detent balls and spring. It was the case for my 1700.

JC,

DSC08084.JPG

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #16  
That is an excellent picture;
the lower pair of rails are in neutral (plain steel colored),
the upper pair (the red ones).
The upper red unit is in gear, what ever gear is selected by moving the lever left and forward,
the lower red one is in neutral.
I would not mess with the springs and balls for the gear detents.
If you disassemble yours that far just get all the shift rails in neutral and if you have a new shift lever install it.

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #17  
I have a 1995 Ford 1715 which has become stuck in gear. Hi-Low range but it wont come out of 2nd gear. I took plate off and can see the gears which appear to be OK. No obvious signs of damage or cause for the lock up. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it unstuck other than to call a dealer. Any suggestions appreciated.
I had the same problem right after I got my tractor. I effectively had a 3 speed no reverse tractor. The linkage that actually changes the gears has come loose. Mine required the tractor to be split to be fixed. I found this diagram at the New Holland site. The parts numbered 41-46 were the culprit in my case.
transmission diagram.jpg

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #18  
That is an excellent picture;
the lower pair of rails are in neutral (plain steel colored),
the upper pair (the red ones).
The upper red unit is in gear, what ever gear is selected by moving the lever left and forward,
the lower red one is in neutral.
I would not mess with the springs and balls for the gear detents.
If you disassemble yours that far just get all the shift rails in neutral and if you have a new shift lever install it.
Few more pics. This is inside of a 40+ yr old tractor. Gears looks almost brand new. i did not need to do beyond removal of cover and work beyond that might need a split.
DSC08082.JPG
DSC08090.JPG
DSC07537.JPG
DSC07532.JPG

/ Ford 1715 Stuck in gear #19  
I had the same problem right after I got my tractor. I effectively had a 3 speed no reverse tractor. The linkage that actually changes the gears has come loose. Mine required the tractor to be split to be fixed. I found this diagram at the New Holland site. The parts numbered 41-46 were the culprit in my case. View attachment 727103
I’m hoping that’s not the problem with mine but have a feeling it may be. That bell housing holds a lot of moisture and creates rust like none other! Thanks for the info!