Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #11  
For what it is worth, here is a picture of the floor throttle on my 1920. I hope it helps.
Chris

Attachments

• 805537-Image.jpg
    805537-Image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 360
   / Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem
Al,

Thanks again! All I needed was a picture of how it was "supposed" to be, and I could figure out the rest.

It took a little "McGyver'ing", but I got it working. I connected things up like they look in your picture, but I still couldn't seem to get it to work. It turns out, the cable was too long, or had stretched considerably. No problem...as you can see in the pictures, I added a few nuts to shorten the cable, and a split washer to keep them in place, routed the cable safely under the provided clamps, and ALL IS WELL!

Here's the way I connected it underneath:
9d49b5d5.jpg

(As you can see, I moved the spring a little to increase tension)

Then I routed the cable safely into the little hold downs provided, hoping to keep it out of the way of brush and such:
caa4967f.jpg

And here's how I "shortened" the cable...cheesy, but it works:
2bb6300a.jpg

Oh, and as for pics of the tractor, how's this one?
0595cb3a.jpg

That's LOML skidding a 50 foot Oak out of the pile the dozer left us. I tried to tell her it was a little too big and that she should let me cut it in half. She wouldn't have any of that.

(I think she just likes pulling wheelies! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

My hope is that with the foot throttle connected, LOML will be less prone to grind **** outta the tranny every time she shifts. But don't tell her I said that... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well Al, thanks again.
- Marty -

Chris,

Looks like the same setup as the 1720. Thanks for posting.

- Marty -

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #14  
Cool. Im glad it works. Nice wheelie too.This site is really something. Great to share ideas and things we have built.Your pictures are great, cant bekieve that the dealer couldnt explain the problem to you tho. But either way, good to see your all set with it.
Allan

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed with the dealer as well, but he's the only one around...well close, anyway.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why I had to McGyver the cable. Do they normally stretch? I tried the adjuster on the cable before I added the 'shortner'...similar to the adjusters I've had on all my Harleys. But it wouldn't let me shorten it enough.

Oh well, as you said, and thanks alot to you, I'm all set.

- Marty -

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #16  
I would think it would be hard to actually stretch that cable, as under normal use it doesnt see much stress. However if it got a good tug from a rock ,stick etc , I guess it may. I have a possibillity that may eliminate the nuts tho. You could use one of those wire mending crip things . a small slice and set it around the cable and adjust to where you want it and squeeze it closed, Maybe find a washer that will keep it from sliding through the guide hole.
Actually a small piece of metal could be folded over the cable and squeezed tightly also.
Either one would elim=inate the nuts.
Are you getting full travel on it now??
Allan

Yup, the way I have it set up, I get full travel, from idle to full throttle. That's why I thought it was simply a stretched cable.

And yes, a wire crimping thingie would work, but I had the nuts in my shop so that's what I went with. If it ever gives me trouble again, I'll fix it "more properly".

Oh, and the foot throttle took LOML a little getting used to, but it seems to be helping her grinding gear issue. At least now she's not trying to shift into reverse at full throttle. Let me tell you, I could hear her a few acres away when she was shifting...and it hurt every time /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks again...
- Marty -

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #18  
Here is an ancient old thread that I'm replying to long after it's dead. The wheelie is being caused by the tow line going over the box blade. Very dangerous and it's very easy to flip the tractor completely over. In fact that's what's happening here, but the operator must have stopped the wheelie in time since there is no mention of an ambulance ride. Next time run the tow cable under the box blade and pull from below the centerline of the wheels for a much safer and more powerful tow.