Ford 1720 neutral switch

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch #1  

glbrooks

Tractor
Ford 1720
I have a 1989 Ford 1720. It requires the transmission to be in neutral before it will start. While its been getting worse over the past year, now its very hard to get it to start. I believe its the neutral switch. If I play with it enough...moving it around in neutral, it will sometime start just fine. I replaced the solenoid last year so I'm pretty sure the neutral switch is failing. I don't know where to look for this switch or relay. If anyone has any ideas or pointers on how I can find it I would greatly appreciate it.

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch #2  
It sounds like the neutral switch and usually the higher wear part. It could just need an adjustment. In either case, the switch is located on the steering column shift linkage, pn: SBA385202900

ForumRunner_20140309_085028.png Item #11 in the illustration.

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch
Thanks TractorTech, I took apart the panel to get to the part you described. I tightened the bolt for the clamp and now all seems to work fine. Thanks for your advice.

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch #4  
Can you come over and fix mine too? I took the whole works apart a while back, cleaned up the reed switch and everything, reassembled and it still requires jiggling the shifter to get it to start. Sometimes takes quite a lot of jiggling.

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch #5  
Our neutral switch that has gone bad is attached in front of the gas tank and firewall.

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch #6  
   / Ford 1720 neutral switch #8  
   / Ford 1720 neutral switch #9  
:eek:sorry about that...

/ Ford 1720 neutral switch
Since I tightened the bolt back in Apr 2013 the neutral switch seems to have worked well until the last month or so. I believe I need to take the front panel back apart and try to adjust again. It takes a long time to finally start and I'm worried I'm going to get stuck out in the woods. Based on the diagram from TractorTech in this thread I believe I can find the right part. I don't know the secret other than make sure the bold is tight. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks for all input on this.