Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match?

/ Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match? #11  
I have a direct-drive Patu chipper. It works fine. It will chip a 4" by 36" branch, as mentioned, in about 4 seconds. Direct drive is simple and reliable. It will not throw chips as far and will clog more easiliy (although still not often) than a belt-drive unit. If direct drive was worthless, why would so many experienced manufacturers offer it?

LOL... I wasn't aware PA had Mesquite trees. It's like chipping oak that's stringy. Maybe along the lines of your Shagbark Hickory up North. But if yours will chip oak that fast, you have a good machine. Don't know why you'd be chipping oak or hickory but if you have shagbark, I'll buy all the logs you have.

I didn't say the direct drive was worthless. Even Harbor Freight tools have a place in the World. These are market lead-ins. What I said was you'll be disappointed. Especially if you've used a rental chipper.

The type mentioned doesn't have a "feed". It's gravity feed and trying to assist will only compound the problems. I just offered my observations and opinions. It's not an argument. Yours are simply different and I respect that.

And I'm serious about the shagbark! 2x2x14" millings would be perfect but I'm flexible.

Ken

/ Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match? #12  
linrick1, Savoy is about 20 miles northeast of Pittsfield in the western end of MA. The chipper has been no problem, does everything I need it to. My brother ran it on his Ford 1700 with no problem. The only thing I had to do for setup was shorten the pto shaft, instructions should come with the chipper paperwork. Operation is pick the feed speed you want and start feeding. Watch out for branches flipping over as they get chipped and wear noise protection along with safety glasses. As for maintenance I keep the bearings greased and check the cutter blades for sharpness. Been running it for about 2.5 years trouble free.

/ Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match?
Hi John, thanks for the information, I'm happy to hear that you are satisfied with your Salsco, lets hope we will be too...I had not heard of Savoy before but I do like the western part of Mass., beautiful country....By the way, is your chipper manual or power feed?
Rick

/ Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match? #14  
Power feed, got tired of the manual.

/ Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match?
Well we picked up our chipper Friday evening, shortened the pto shaft, inspected and greased it and were making chips Saturday morning....this thing is very heavily built, the bearings are huge, and works very well. I called Salsco to ask about the shipping date and wound up speaking directly to the owner of the company himself. I asked about installing an overdrive setup on it and was told that was fine, it would not void the warranty and after speaking to Sal (the owner) felt confident that we had purchased our chipper from an excellent company that will stand behind their products....ran it steady for about 6 hours steady on Sat. and it never missed a beat, very satisfied. (BTW I am in no way affiliated with Salsco.), Rick

Attachments

• 9-06-08 005.jpg
    9-06-08 005.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 9-06-08 007.jpg
    9-06-08 007.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 331
   / Ford 1900 and Salsco 624 - Good match? #16  
I see why you need the chipper, since you have a Wood-mizer in your stash of goodies...
David from jax