Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds
Tried with the vent cap off. No difference. I also tried taking the air cleaner out of the loop and that didn't make a difference. I don't have a cable shutdown system. I just reduce the throttle to absolute minimum and the engine stalls from lack of fuel. I pulled the injectors and while they all look the same to me, I think that anything other than sending them to an expert or just reinstalling them is beyond my paygrade.
Still open to thoughts.
Cheers,
Tom

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #12  
Are you getting good fuel flow to the filter? Then is there good flow out of the filter? I still think it's a fuel supply issue.

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #13  
Does that have a stanadyne type pump?
On those if the fuel return line got plugged that is what they do.
I don't know how your pump is set up but if you can locate a return line either to the tank or back into the pump and loosen it to see if it runs.
If you search for Stanadyne injection pump you will find a lot of information on pumps behaving that way.

Thanks guys. Showcattle-I get good fuel flow all the way to the bleed screw on the injector pump. I agree with the thought that it's a fuel supply problem, but I can't figure out where. I mentioned earlier that with the lines supplying each injector off and cranking the starter, fuel only travels an inch or two upward. Seems to me like it should be several inches if not a few feet. Seems to me that the injection should be a high pressure into the cylinder. (By the way, I grew up in East Palestine, Eastern Ohio.)
LouNY-I have a Kiki injector pump and the return is from the top of the injectors. I'll check today if that path is all clear.
Cheers,
Tom

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #15  
Thanks for the tips. I'll try those and if need be, get in touch with pumpguysc.
Cheers,
Tom

I think he actually is: THEPUMPGUYSC

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #16  
I think they are gravity fed from the tank..
What "I" would do is, disconnect the line going into the pump & run it into a 5 gal. bucket & LET IT RUN for a couple of minutes.. fill the bucket up about 1/2 way..
Your looking for it to slow down..
Let us know how u make out..
BTW> have u ever added oil to the pump.?? Some are engine oil fed by a line going into the side of it.. IF u don't have that line, u need to oil the insides..
SOME have drain & full screws while others don't.. They all have a large screw on top of the governor to add oil..

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #17  
you can always add an electric pump, bypass the lift pump!. about 7PSI or so should do it, it's much cheaper than replacing a mechanical pump. if it don't have a lift pump, then it's good to add this.

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #18  
TRH, have you considered a electric fuel pump to test with? One of the cheap ones that pumps 5 PSI or so.

You could put it in line after the fuel filter before the injector pump and see what happens. If it will let the tractor perform normally you could permanently mount it. Just a thought.

Thanks for the comments. I recently renewed the oil in the fuel injection pump...maybe 20 hours ago and checked two days ago when this started. I noticed that the oil was dirty. This surprised me, but perhaps I didn't get all of the old oil out when I changed it. Would that make a difference? I ran about two cups of fuel out yesterday and the second flowed clean with no blockage. Tomorrow, I'll try several gallons to see if there is a difference.
Cheers,
Tom

/ Ford 1900 Starts, shuts off after 20 or 30 seconds #20  
I think they are gravity fed from the tank..
What "I" would do is, disconnect the line going into the pump & run it into a 5 gal. bucket & LET IT RUN for a couple of minutes.. fill the bucket up about 1/2 way..
Your looking for it to slow down..
Yep.....that test first. ^^^^^

Because the symptoms sound exactly like what happens with a tank obstruction....you get enough flow to start and run a short time, then the injector pump starves for lack of fuel and the engine dies. Connect a known clean, clear line from the tank outlet to a bucket and watch the flow.