Ford 1910 injector leak

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #1  

sruman

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910
I have a 1910 that I've discovered has a leak where the injectors are screwed into the head. Crazy how it was discovered. I was refueling and spilled a bit of diesel fuel over the engine. What I eventually saw, was right where the injectors are going into the head, there were air bubbles forming. Not a lot, but definitely happening, kinda like how you would use soapy water to find a hole in tire. Is it as simple as tightening the injector down?
IMAG0541.jpgIMAG0542.jpg

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #2  
Yes & no.. there is a copper gasket under it.. you could TRY to tighten it OR remove the injector [pita] flip the gasket or get a new one & ask the dealer what the PROPER tightening torque is..
HINT> tighten from the BIG body nut, NOT the small hex..
That means you have to take off the return lines from all the injectors, so you may as well take the injector out & flip/get a new gasket.
AND check the others for tightness.. you don't want to do it again for a long time..

/ Ford 1910 injector leak
Thanks, makes sense. I will be replacing the copper gaskets. While I have it off, are there any other recommended parts that you would replace while I'm at it?

Also, if anyone has the torque specs for these, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll continue to dig deeper. I might have a manual with the specs, but I'll have to look at it a bit more closely. Again, just trying to get it all done while I have it off/broke down.

Thanks.

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #4  
I torque them to 50-55 ftlbs from the big hex. no problems & no leaks.
2 schools of thought on this.. 1> if it aint broke don't fix it.. 2> depending on the hours, get the injectors pop tested at the local fuel shop.
The problem with # 2 is, regardless of how it runs, their gonna tell you you need new nozzles..and its gonna run you about 85.00 a piece.. that's just the way it is.. sorry.

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #5  
Hey Pumpguy, Where can I find a new nozzle for my 1910? Had the three injectors tested, two were perfect one was not. The Ford place wants $140.00 for a new nozzle, no way I can afford that.

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #6  
A "Ford Place" is selling u a whole injector.. NOT a nozzle{tip} No way I'd pay that either..
They're LESS THAN 40.00 w/ free shipping on the web.!!! Just googlewho>> ford 1910 injectors<
DONT get just 1.. if 1's bad chances are, they're all on the way out.. get all 3 if u can afford it.

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #7  
Sorry but I looked up a 1710.. The 1910 are a bit more expensive.. I'll send u a prvt msg.

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #8  
I torque them to 50-55 ftlbs from the big hex. no problems & no leaks.
2 schools of thought on this.. 1> if it aint broke don't fix it.. 2> depending on the hours, get the injectors pop tested at the local fuel shop.
The problem with # 2 is, regardless of how it runs, their gonna tell you you need new nozzles..and its gonna run you about 85.00 a piece.. that's just the way it is.. sorry.

Hey Pumpguy, can you explain what pop testing is?

/ Ford 1910 injector leak #9  
I CAN.. but I'll hafta killa afterwards.. Lol
Its when u install an injector to a machine that builds pressure until the injector "pops"{opens}.. THATS the opening pressure of the injector..
Each injector should POP within 200 psi of each other.. its BEST to set them equal.. The injectors in everyones engine has an opening pressure spec.. & they're all different.. A Ford inj. is set diff. than a Kubota engine & on & on..
& there are several diff. tests that are performed on the "pop tester" machine.. Opening Pressure. Nozzle Leakage & Spray Pattern of the nozzle{tip}
U can check out POP TESTERS on ebay to get an idea of what they look like.. I hope this helps.