Ford 1910 leaking fluid from front differential

/ Ford 1910 leaking fluid from front differential #1  

White_north

Tractor
1985 Ford 1910
First time posting.

First day with the new (to me) tractor. Plowed a small garden plot for about 45 mins and then put it in the garage.

Later noticed a puddle of fluid on the floor. Not a lot, but enough to be concerning.

Looks like it's coming from where the drive shaft enters the differential (not sure I'm using the right names, first tractor and all).

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_230801.jpg
    IMG_20230512_230801.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230512_230741.jpg
    IMG_20230512_230741.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
   / Ford 1910 leaking fluid from front differential #2  
Yeah, if it is what I think it is the problem is common to all those older FWD assist tractors. I've done several at a shop years ago.

It is not a bad mechanical problem. Nothing serious is broken. This is maintenance; not panic. And you can do it on your own schedule. Not time sensitive...except it has to be done eventually.

It is either of two seals that are leaking into that tube covering the front drive shaft. One is the seal where the drive shaft enters the front differential, and the other - the more common to leak - is at the other end of the drive shaft where it comes out of the transmission to go forward. Either or both are seeping into the driveshaft cover and then out onto the ground. Even if the leak is back at the transmission, it usually comes out of the cover up by the diff.

Those seals will always leak if the axle or transmission are over filled-could that be it?
Although they all leak eventually. You have to keep on eye on both fluids until you figure which one is leaking. Basically I'd make sure they are not overfilled, put a pan under it this year, check and fill as necessary (make up by adding 80w90 multiwt gear oil in the front axle only). Thenplan on a couple of easy evenings in the garage unbolting that driveshaft cover & replacing one or both seals sometime next winter or off season. In the shop we usually charged two or three hours for the job by someone who had done it before....but it always ended up taking all afternoon.

I've done Yanmars & not a problem. Never have done a Ford....but I'm betting it is similar. Get a parts diagram so you can see how it fits. Maybe someone here can help with specifics on the Ford.

Now having said that, there is a possibility that the splines or constant velocity or whatever Ford uses on that front driveshaft have some wear. Just check it when you have it apart and until you do take it apart and confirm that the drive shaft is fine & all it needs is a seal job I'd not be shy to use 4wd when you need it, but not when you don't. That applies to all these 4wd assist tractors. They are 4wd ASSIST, they are not meant to be full time in 4wd.

And saying again that you do need to keep an eye on your fluid in the front axle & especially the transmission. Do those things and use it until you have time to replace the seals.
luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Ford 1910 leaking fluid from front differential
Thanks for the details. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

11 is the seal you're referring to?

IMG_20230513_055826.jpg

Also, some other dumb questions...

1) What's the easiest way to get transmission fluid out of a 5 gallon bucket and into the tractor?

2) Is it a different type of fluid and do you add it somewhere else than the main trans fill port to keep front axle full like you mentioned?

Last edited:
   / Ford 1910 leaking fluid from front differential #6  
Probably should get a manual. They are all over the place online. It will show you all the maintenance points on the thing. The front axle has 3 points to lube. The main axle which should have a fill point/dipstick, and the dropdown gears on either side. Either 80w90 or Transmission oil are ok. I would do a complete service on the machine before putting it into use. Also keep an eye out for missing or loose bolts. lol

Probably should get a manual. They are all over the place online. It will show you all the maintenance points on the thing. The front axle has 3 points to lube. The main axle which should have a fill point/dipstick, and the dropdown gears on either side. Either 80w90 or Transmission oil are ok. I would do a complete service on the machine before putting it into use. Also keep an eye out for missing or loose bolts. lol
Seller had all the manuals and provided them so I will take a look through and see if I can locate it, thanks.

Yeah, if it is what I think it is the problem is common to all those older FWD assist tractors. I've done several at a shop years ago.

It is not a bad mechanical problem. Nothing serious is broken. This is maintenance; not panic. And you can do it on your own schedule. Not time sensitive...except it has to be done eventually.

It is either of two seals that are leaking into that tube covering the front drive shaft. One is the seal where the drive shaft enters the front differential, and the other - the more common to leak - is at the other end of the drive shaft where it comes out of the transmission to go forward. Either or both are seeping into the driveshaft cover and then out onto the ground. Even if the leak is back at the transmission, it usually comes out of the cover up by the diff.

Those seals will always leak if the axle or transmission are over filled-could that be it?
Although they all leak eventually. You have to keep on eye on both fluids until you figure which one is leaking. Basically I'd make sure they are not overfilled, put a pan under it this year, check and fill as necessary (make up by adding 80w90 multiwt gear oil in the front axle only). Thenplan on a couple of easy evenings in the garage unbolting that driveshaft cover & replacing one or both seals sometime next winter or off season. In the shop we usually charged two or three hours for the job by someone who had done it before....but it always ended up taking all afternoon.

I've done Yanmars & not a problem. Never have done a Ford....but I'm betting it is similar. Get a parts diagram so you can see how it fits. Maybe someone here can help with specifics on the Ford.

Now having said that, there is a possibility that the splines or constant velocity or whatever Ford uses on that front driveshaft have some wear. Just check it when you have it apart and until you do take it apart and confirm that the drive shaft is fine & all it needs is a seal job I'd not be shy to use 4wd when you need it, but not when you don't. That applies to all these 4wd assist tractors. They are 4wd ASSIST, they are not meant to be full time in 4wd.

And saying again that you do need to keep an eye on your fluid in the front axle & especially the transmission. Do those things and use it until you have time to replace the seals.
luck,
rScotty
Does this sound like what I'll have to do to get those seals changed?

So used it again for about an hour leveling some stuff with a harrow yesterday.

Put it away and had the bucket just slightly of the ground... Like 1/2" or so. Came out in the morning and bucket was on the ground and noticed small leak in right tilt cylinder. Another something to fix down the road I guess.

This is all new to me so wondering how I should be storing the bucket when I'm done...should it be on the ground? Also any way to try and tighten connection on the cylinder to see if that will stop the leak?

Last edited: