Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge.

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #1  

tvr383

Tractor
ford 1910,wheelhorse 18 automatic,
Hi,

Is it normal for my temp gauge on my 1910 to show high temp when switch is off?
When I turn that switch (ignition) fuel gauge goes up but heath down to cold as it is when just started...This is a recent acquisition and did not use it much but it doesn't sound right!

Another question altough not a real problem but just out of curiosity:On the rear fender there is one light,round in shape and none on the right one.Apart this single red one wich is electrified,there is two yellow flashers one on each fender plus two reflecting lights right at the rearest part of the fenders.

According the wiring diagram I have the later 1986 1910 do have a single wire running to the rear left fender for that one and only single light.
Now this one appears to me as a position light but why only one? Why not the other side also?

Curious!

thanks,
Ron.

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #2  
Ron, every temperature gage I have seen goes to zero when power is turned off. It seems strange to me that yours goes to the maximum stop. The normal way for these to be wired is to have a probe on the engine that is a variable resistor based on temperature (called a thermistor). It changes it's resistance based on how hot it gets in the coolant. The hotter the coolant, the less resistance and therefore the higher the gage reads. The temperature probe is normally located near the engine outlet that goes to the top of the radiator. I would find that probe and remove the wire (normally just a spade connector). Turn on the key and see if the temp gage reads low/zero. With the switch on, touch the end of the wire to a ground for just a couple of seconds while watching the gage. the gage should go to maximum/hot. Don't leave the wire grounded too long, just a few seconds while reading the temperature gage. If the gage reads minimum temperature when disconnected and maximum when grounded, I'd call it good no matter where it goes when I turn off the key.

You may have to use a jumper inside the spade connector on the end of the wire because it is normally recessed in a plastic insulating sheath.

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #3  
1910's were built with a single red taillight. That's the way they were. Very common for tractors of that age and older, especially Fords.
Ford Thousand series and 10 series compact tractors with an actual temp gauge normally go to full hot at key off. It's just the way they are.

Bottom line; your tractor is equipped and functioning as designed with respect to the features in question.

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #4  
Hi,

Is it normal for my temp gauge on my 1910 to show high temp when switch is off?
When I turn that switch (ignition) fuel gauge goes up but heath down to cold as it is when just started...This is a recent acquisition and did not use it much but it doesn't sound right!

thanks,
Ron.

Ron,

My ford 1700 acts exactly the same. Below you'll see the picture of the temp gage when engine is off. As you put the key in preheat or on the needle jumps to zero closing the circuit. As the sending unit temp increases the needle will register higher temp. As you short out the sending unit wire to the ground the needle will go to zero. One additional thing on mine is if after engine is on and I turn the ignition key to 12 o'clock accidentally (Ie off) the needle will jump to max) and that scares the bejesus out of me with engine is running at normal operating temp.

dsc07097c.jpg

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #5  
Ron,

My ford 1700 acts exactly the same. Below you'll see the picture of the temp gage when engine is off.

AHA! Hot is on the right. Most gages, hot would be on the left. Thanks for showin' me that I was not nearly as smart as I thought I was.:eek::D

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #6  
My 1910 does the same thing. When off it goes to hot.

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #7  
AHA! Hot is on the right. Most gages, hot would be on the left. Thanks for showin' me that I was not nearly as smart as I thought I was.:eek::D

Jim,

Don't sell your self short. The difference was merely a matter of convention. You're logic is always dead center.:) and that's what counts.

JC,

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge.
Folks,

Well for once I don't have to worry about fixing out other bugs...that's refreshing and a change compared to my actual project of getting back alive a 1973 wheelhorse tractor.

I am amazed at the appearant high quality ,well made this little 1910 has to show!

regards,

Ron.

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge. #9  

OK Jim I am trying to decide if you are goofing on us or what. I have never seen a temp guage where hot is on the left. All the guages I have seen sweep left to right increasing in number the further to the right it goes.
Bill

/ Ford 1910,lights,temp gauge.
OK Jim I am trying to decide if you are goofing on us or what. I have never seen a temp guage where hot is on the left. All the guages I have seen sweep left to right increasing in number the further to the right it goes.
Bill

I second this but I might not have seen that many guages...altough a few of them and always left to right cold to hot.