Ford 1910 Starting problems

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems #1  

martym

Tractor
none
My 1910 problems began with hard starting and a surging idle. It would have a rough idle followed by a high rev and back to a rough idle or just die. I had just began building my my shop and the tractor problems were put on the back burner, That was a year and a half ago. Shop is done and the tractor is back at the top of the to do list.
I have drained the old fuel and changed the filter. I am pretty sure I have managed to purge all the air from the system. I havent done this before and that's why I say pretty sure. It will crank and crank but never fire. Just a touch of starter fluid and it will fire for a few revolutions but not start. When I crack the fuel lines at the injectors I have a brief spray of fuel that seems about the same at all 3 injectors.

My best guess is bad injectors but I thought I would ask for feedback before I start hunting for new injectors.

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems #2  
Sounded like air getting in somewhere until the end of your story. Take an injector out, attach to a fuel line and see if you get a decent spray pattern out of it. Careful you don't have any spark source or open flame around when you do this and keep your hand away from the nozzle.

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems #3  
Sounds like your sucking air. Pumps fuel and quits is odd. New Fuel Filter? Go back and check any filter O-rings and rebleed the Inj. pump. No doubt Fuel or air related.

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems #4  
1910's are very hard to bleed. Start at the tank make sure fuel filter is full, then on to the injector pump, screw on the side as I recall? Then to the lines out of the pump once you’ve got it to this point the lines at the injectors can be cracked. Throw the ether away 1910's don't like it. All this is outlined in most good service manuals.
Good luck!

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems
Thanks for the quick response guys!

I will go back and bleed the fuel filter, pump and the lines conecting them again before I start pulling injectors.

When I get to the point of cracking the hard lines conecting to the injectors Is there a way to tell if I have air in the hard lines? As it sits now after cranking it for a few seconds then cracking the hard lines at the injectors I get a small spray from where the hard line pases through the nut. If I crank it with the lines cracked open that spray is reduced to a bubbling seep.
Is that my clue? LOL
I ask becouse I must have run the starter for about 20 minutes in 20 second increments over the last week before I came here for help.

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems #6  
Yes, you will get bubbles at the hard line if you have air. BTW. I was a dealer and I have a 1910 myself and I have not had problems bleeding it. One thing you should do is fill the tank at least 3/4 full

/ Ford 1910 Starting problems #7  
I had a Ford 1900 and ran it out of fuel twice. Not on purpose but just stupidity for not checking the level in the tank before going out onto the range. It was a BIT*H to start both times. I remember them clearly. I bled everything and bled it again. It just wouldn't start. Eventually after bleeding some more and then cranking it till the cows came home it would start and then die and then start and run longer and die eventually it started and continued finally. But it was a BIT*H.