Ford 1920, Cuts of to very low idle after 10 minutes

/ Ford 1920, Cuts of to very low idle after 10 minutes #1  

Wasmeneh

Silver Member
I have a Ford 1920 that I primarily use to bush hog with. The PTO clutch has never worked well and after I purchased a Ditch Bank Flail mower for it the clutch failed causing a stripped upper PTO shaft. This part was not available from For/New Holland or anybody else for that matter. Ford /New Holland said they were looking for a new supplier. After a month and a half I found a company that was having some made and received one had had it installed. A mechanic had already replaced both clutches. He re-split the tractor to install the upper PTO shaft. While doing this work he cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the soft fuel lines, he advised that they were very dirty and cracked.

Got the tractor home and started to use the flail mower to cut my 4 acre newly sprigged (Spring this year) field. While cutting at PTO speed the tractor all of sudden stumbled and went to a very low idle (I had cut about 3 acres at this point) about 500 rpm. All engine gauges showed normal ranges and it was not running hot. I towed it back to it's storage container and used a come-along to get it put away. My mechanic came out the next day it would start and maintain the same low idle he checked for fuel flow to filter, checked filter, checked air filter, checked flow to injectors. He tapped on the Fuel cutoff solenoid and eventually it started to gain RPMs and run normally. He advise that it was the solenoid going bad. After he left I attempted to finish the last acre of the field and after about 25 minutes at PTO speed it went into the same low idle. This time I was able to coax it back to the container in a very low gear. Ordered a new solenoid.

Replaced the solenoid yesterday, tractor started in the low idle condition but after a few minutes it was operating normally. Went out to finish the field a swath about 20' X 60'. Did that but after it ran for about 15 minutes it again went back to low idle. Got it started back up ( idle was even lower and had to jump battery with truck) the engine started to increase in RPM to normal. Left it in the container idling with no load at about 2000 RPM it cut off again after about 10 minutes.

Any ideas? I did check to make sure there was no suction from the fuel tank not venting. Before all the work, the tractor always started and worked great I had bush hogged the field several times and had pulled a 5 foot disc over the 4 acres to prepare it for planting.

Thanks in advance
Mike in NC

/ Ford 1920, Cuts of to very low idle after 10 minutes #2  
Coincidence that what could be from a low fuel flow rate would happen just after sloshing around whatever has accumulated in your tank for 30 years. I'd start there... Or could the new flexible lines have gotten kinked during reassembly?

/ Ford 1920, Cuts of to very low idle after 10 minutes #3  
One time on my 1920, I had to use a jump box (battery with jump cables) to apply 12 volts to the starter solenoid and keep it open so the tractor would run. The terminals on the solenoid are easy to reach with the jump cable clips. You might need to 'bungy' the jump box to the tractor to keep it attached. If this solves your problem, it might be an electrical problem with the power feed to the solenoid. Sometimes, engine heat can cause some 'funky' electrical problems in the wiring harness. The solenoid is opened through the ignition switch so make sure the switch is working properly.

/ Ford 1920, Cuts of to very low idle after 10 minutes
Thanks all who replied, I drained,the fuel tank and got a lot of crud out of it. I ran it for about 30 minutes no issues, I think the tank outlet was clogging and cutting down the flow.

I will keep the solenoid jump in the back of my head in case it happens again. I may need to rwplace thw battery anyway. The guy who had put a Marine deep cycle one in it I think the cranking amps are low.

/ Ford 1920, Cuts of to very low idle after 10 minutes #5  
Thanks all who replied, I drained,the fuel tank and got a lot of crud out of it. I ran it for about 30 minutes no issues, I think the tank outlet was clogging and cutting down the flow.

So, that mechanic replaced a fuel shutoff solenoid that was probably still good and he "cleaned out" the fuel tank but made it worse... Ugh.