Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl

/ Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl #1  

Homestead Blue

Bronze Member
Tractor
1964 Ford 2000
Hey guys,
My parking brake pawls(#7) are both rusted in place, unlocked thankfully, and I am having a terrible time freeing them up so they'll pivot to lock into the sector plates(#10). I've tried removing the pins(#8) so I could try and pound them out, but those are stuck too. Anyone else have this issue or any ideas on getting them freed up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-14-23-30-58-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-14-23-30-58-1.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 144
   / Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl #2  
Try Soundguy's 50/50 mix of Acetone & auto. trans. fluid. Better than anything you can buy off the shelf. Give it 2-3 squirts a day for several days, letting it soak, then try it. It's all I use now.

/ Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl
Thanks Dj! I actually found a good deal on two cans of PB Blaster, it works really well. After several squirts and letting it sit awhile it was still frozen. I heated the crap out of the arm then put a piece of wood behind the arm and pounded it out with a small sledge hammer. It wasn't easy, but I finally got it. I used an angle grinder, sideways, to shave the pin down just a little. Then I greased the heck out of it before putting it back together. It works great now!! I started working on the other side but I've run out of steam for today. Hopefully I'll get the left side done tomorrow. I'm really excited though because my Dad, who's a retired electrical engineer, and drove a Farmall on a strawberry farm when he was a kid, is coming to help me figure out the electrical problem I've been having. Fingers crossed I'll get her fired up tomorrow for the first time!!

/ Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl #4  
PB is good, but the 50/50 mix is better. Seems to really do well dissolving rust. I started out buying quarts of Acetone, and used it enough, that last time, I bought a gallon of Acetone, and already had a jug of ATF. I use an old dish detergent bottle for an applicator, as it needs to be sealed to keep the Acetone from evaporating.

Something to think about when the PB is running low.

Well, you sold me, I'll make some up maybe tomorrow so it's ready for the next time. I'm positive this isn't the last rusty frozen part I'll going to deal with!!

/ Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl #6  
It is rough on paint..!! To the point of making it wrinkle, and literally wipe it off. So watch where you use it...

The PB was too, especially after torching it. Same thing, wrinkled and blew off. Good thing I plan on putting this machine to use and not set it in a museum huh?

/ Ford 2000 frozen brake pawl #8  
I heard that... I have one trailer queen, the rest earn their keep, and don't need to be pretty to do that.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

(2) GE Refrigerators (A33349)
(2) GE...
Case 8940 Dual Wheeled Tractor (A33548)
Case 8940 Dual...
Miller MP30E Welder w/Millermatic S54E Wire Feed (A33349)
Miller MP30E...
New 9' Office Container (A34302)
New 9' Office...
2024 Forklift Safety Basket (A32932)
2024 Forklift...
AGROTK 680 QT Post Pounder (A34189)
AGROTK 680 QT Post...