Ford 2110 clutch

/ Ford 2110 clutch #1  

clod hopper

I am having problems with a 2110 lcg clutch. It will only disengage sometimes.
It is totally unpredictable in when it will stick and the only way to get it out of gear when it is sticking is to pull the gear shift out. It will sometimes work if I drop the bucket. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

/ Ford 2110 clutch #2  
Sounds like it is time to split your tractor and fix it before you wreck the thing and/or hurt yourself. Any of several things could be going on in there; none of them good and none I can think of repairable without a split.

/ Ford 2110 clutch #3  
Clod,

It does not sound like the clutch. It sounds like the shift mechanism. I don't know the newer ones, but the old ones had either balls or "plungers" that went into detents in the shift rails to hold the gear and give that nice CLICK! when shifting. They wear and the springs weaken.

My fear is that you may shift and still be in 2 gears when you lift the clutch and that will pop off teeth from gears. Spendy to fix then.

If my assumption is correct, you can probably fix the trans for under $100 and not have to take it apart. Worth looking into at least.

jb

/ Ford 2110 clutch #4  
John and I are interpreting your post differently.
Does the tractor stop when the clutch is depressed? If no, there is a clutch/linkage problem.
Does the shifter freely shift out of gear as it should when the clutch is disengaged? If not, either a shifter problem or possibly a clutch problem is indicated.

/ Ford 2110 clutch
john_bud said:
Clod,

It does not sound like the clutch. It sounds like the shift mechanism. I don't know the newer ones, but the old ones had either balls or "plungers" that went into detents in the shift rails to hold the gear and give that nice CLICK! when shifting. They wear and the springs weaken.

My fear is that you may shift and still be in 2 gears when you lift the clutch and that will pop off teeth from gears. Spendy to fix then.

If my assumption is correct, you can probably fix the trans for under $100 and not have to take it apart. Worth looking into at least.

jb
What would I have to do to diagnose it?

In answer to Rick, no the tractor will not stop most times when the clutch is depressed. The gears seem to shift smoothly when the clutch does operate. The tractor is a 73 with a front end loader on it. I can get it to kick out of gear if I depress the clutch and I drop the bucket solidly. thanks guys for your help.

/ Ford 2110 clutch #6  
Ahhhh, Rick has a better interpreter that I!

If the engine remains powering the transmission after the clutch peddle is pressed, that's a different deal than I was thinking. That is probably broken fingers on the pressure plate or the clutch is severely out of adjustment. Get the manual and adjust correctly and see if that fixes it. Other wise it may need a split to get to it.

jb

/ Ford 2110 clutch
any idea how muc it cost to split and repair a clutch?:eek:

/ Ford 2110 clutch #8  
Those tractors are fairly easy. I've done them alone in a long weekend stumbling along. Friday after work thru Sunday night. Pro's can get done in 3-4 hours. Most of the time is figuring out what to do or cleaning and painting. Working on concrete and having jacks, jack stands, tools and jigs make it fast. Still, hand tools and determination will get er done. Air impact wrenchs, and even torch may make it easier too.

If you do the work, then it's just the parts and your own (free) labor.

You are talking about the 3 cylinder 2110 LCG right? THere is a 4 cylinder 2110 also. There are a lot of transmission options to. 4 speed, 6 speed, 7 speed, 8 speed, SOS - single clutch - double clutch.

You are probably looking at 300-600 in parts. Depends if you go reman or not, double clutch or not, etc.

jb