Ford 2120 shift fork worn

/ Ford 2120 shift fork worn #1  

Repairman

Tractor
Ford 2120
I have a Ford 2120 with a shuttle shift. Anyway I have the tractor apart and noticed the shift fork is a little worn. I was told that the fork wear migh be filled with brazing or welding. I can weld cast steel but I would not feel comfortable welding on cast iron. New forks are not available anymore.

Has anyone ever welded one of these forks? Does anyone know what type of metal they are made from?

/ Ford 2120 shift fork worn #3  
Hard to believe they'd be cast iron, maybe a forging if not steel. Do you have a pic of what you're looking at? I'm curious, and a 2120 owner to boot.
Jim

/ Ford 2120 shift fork worn
Here are pictures of the gear shift forks, hydraulic shuttle clutch pack, parts diagrams part 18 is the part that's worn. The part is magnetic either forged or cast steel most likely.

The 18 fork is not available from New Holland the 17 fork is in stock I checked with 2 dealers. My guess is this fork is used by most operators and wears first.

The shuttle clutch kit costs $1200 to buy the parts, the 3 plastic shuttle shaft seals 1" diameter cost $250 for the set. if they leak the hydraulic clutch pressure will not hold and the clutch packs wear out.

It took me 8 hours to get the shuttle clutch packs out. I'm glad its in the garage its 20F and snowing here.

Attachments

• 2120 Hydraulic Shuttle Clutch.jpg
    2120 Hydraulic Shuttle Clutch.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 553
  • Both Shift forks.jpg
    Both Shift forks.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Shift Fork not worn.jpg
    Shift Fork not worn.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Shift Fork Parts Diagram.jpg
    Shift Fork Parts Diagram.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Shift Fork Parts List  number 18.jpg
    Shift Fork Parts List number 18.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Worn Shift Fork 2120.jpg
    Worn Shift Fork 2120.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 216
I have been researching the way to repair the fork and I think that I will be using tig brazing using aluminum bronze to build up the wear and then machine it to fit. Aluminum bronze is what is used for bronze bearings and has good abrasion resistance and tensile strength. From what I understand AC is the tig mode to use (same as aluminum welding) as it cleans the surface during the welding process. Obviously fork will be degreased, cleaned well, and the surface ground to remove the existing surface.

I will post some pictures when I finish. It cost me 1500 to get the shuttle clutch rebuilt will be picking it up tomorrow. Supposed to be zero here tonight wish this job was happening in the summer.

Well removed the rear fork and it is worn 3/16". I ordered A2 aluminum Bronze B razing rod from WeldingSupply.com. This rod can be used with a tig welder to build up the worn parts. A2 should not be used to joint metals say in a lap joint. I bought 2 lbs of bare rod (no flux) for $34 should arrive tomorrow. Still not sure if the fork is cast iron or steel, I have to grind it to see what color sparks to find out. Since the part is no longer available new I don't want to crack the fork.
I'm going to pick up the rebuilt shuttle clutch tomorrow I will have the dealer look at the fork since it's worn on both sides I have to figure out how much to grind off the taks that rub on each side of the synchronizer shift gear.

Built up the worn sections by AC tig welding with amperage set to 140 using 3/16 aluminum bronze brazing rod. Tried to use dc mode but AC works much better nice smooth beads. By neighbor has a miniature milling machine and leveled the welds to the correct dimensions.

/ Ford 2120 shift fork worn #8  
I sure hope this goes back together and works for you, please let us know. How did you figure the original dimensions to grind it to?
Jim