Ford 3000 fuel issue

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue #1  

AaronS76

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi everyone

I have a Ford 3000 and I am in Au if that makes a difference at all. Looking for some insight into a problem. Up until now this tractor has been very reliable. Fantastic tractor for smaller jobs.

I was using it to do a little ripping and after a while the ground got very bumpy and after my kidneys fell out the old girl stopped. Loss of power and then the motor died. There was a fuel supply issue that I identified as a blocked fuel tap (previous owner had taken the screen off and I suspect I had stirred up crap with the bouncing around).

I replaced the tap (the tap has a very slow leak) and the old girl still dies. Especially if heading up an incline. Reprime and she is good to go.

I am heading out today to replace the o-ring in the brand new tap (bare-co) because it is easier than pulling out the tap and hope that will fix this issue. However, I thought I would post here asking people with more experience if this could be an issue that is commonly experienced and I should be looking for something else? I don’t remember which injector pump it had on it sorry. The bleed screw is located on the side of a square housing.

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue #2  
When you say the tap was blocked and you know the screen is missing, I assume you cleared the gunk from the tank?

Did you clear the line to the filter?

Have you checked the inlet orifice on the filter head?

Take the fuel line off of the injection pump supply and see what kind of flow you have.
Or, take off the line from tank to filter to check flow and so on down to the pump.

Simms inline injection pump.

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue
When you say the tap was blocked and you know the screen is missing, I assume you cleared the gunk from the tank?

Did you clear the line to the filter?

Have you checked the inlet orifice on the filter head?

Take the fuel line off of the injection pump supply and see what kind of flow you have.
Or, take off the line from tank to filter to check flow and so on down to the pump.

Simms inline injection pump.
Thanks. Apologies for delayed reply. Pretty busy at the moment.

I replaced the tap with one that has a screen. Did all the above. I don’t have enough experience to tell whether the flow into the injector pump is adequate or not. Time to replace/rebuild lift pump I guess? If not that then injector pump?

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue #4  
Dont know if this will help, but my tractor would loose power when brush hogging a steep hill. It was becausr the fuel level was low. The cure was adding fuel to the tank.

I dont know the Ford fuel system but Id make sure to find all of the screens in the system and make sure they are clean.

Good fuel flow would be similar to good water flow from your faucet. Steady, no air, stream is same diameter as the pipe or hose.

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue #5  
Keep going down the line. Check the inlet orifice in the filter head. Replace the filter. Blow your lines out. Flow at the injection pump, activating the lift pump, should produce a stream out of the line

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue #6  
Also, take the cap off of the lift pump and check for crud and blockages in the incoming and outgoing lines at the lift pump

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue
Thanks all. I’ll get some schematics and find out where there are screens in the system and clean them out. Blow out the lines too.

Lift pump certainly doesnt squirt it out when manually activated. But if a dribble really.

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue #8  
Like most mechanical lift pumps it works off a cam lobe so rotation must be in the right spot or the manual lever won't produce much. If in doubt try bumping the engine over a few times while working the lever.

/ Ford 3000 fuel issue
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. I have pulled down the fuel system, cleaned it and put it back together. It still has the issue and there are still air bubbles in the fuel when I bleed it. I have replaced the fuel tap and there is a steel line between fuel tap and lift pump. There are no air bubbles at the filter. I thought that there could not get air between lift pump and injector pump because it is under positive pressure. Any thoughts appreciated.