Ford 3000 Powersteering

/ Ford 3000 Powersteering #1  

RKM

Tractor
Ford 3000 & DB 990
I have a 1974 Ford 3000 with mfg. powersteering. The tractor will turn to the right on it's own, but when you turn the steering wheel back to the left, it feels like it is locking up. But if you hold pressure on the steering wheel, it will turn slowly to the left. I have check the fluid level in the resivor and have jacked-up the front end and turn the steering wheel back and forth trying to bleed any air that might be in the system. It did not help. Any suggustions as to the next step ?

/ Ford 3000 Powersteering #2  
lookup user ultradog. he's pretty good on them power steering stups.

user rickb would also be able to help you.

I'm a mechanical steering guy.

you may have a spring /ball problem in t he block.. but giv e them a shout for some info.

/ Ford 3000 Powersteering #3  
Do Not force it!
You will break the little springs in the hydraulic block. $40 apiece.
Crack the lines going to the steering cylinders and pump all of the old oil out of it.
You have problems in the hydraulic control block in the steering column. Probably rust or crud.
Pull the center hood and cowel aroung the fuel tank to get at it.
Pull the top of the column and then the block. Take it all apart. Clean it in lacquer thinner. Check for any broken springs. Make sure all the little plungers and center spool slide freely. Use crocus cloth to polish away any rust.
You will need an I&T FO 30 manual to reassemble and tighten it back up properly.
Absolutely, positively put new upper and lower seals in it - part #s 14 and 35 and put 2 new orings in it #33.
And put a new filter in the pump housing.
They are a good, simple system and will give years of service if serviced once in a while. (which they rarely are)
Post back with any questions - you'll likely have problems reinstalling all the balls, plungers and springs in their correct holes - lots of people do.
Don't be afraid of it. They are pretty simple really.
Post back with any questions or you can PM me through this board.
I'll even talk you through it on the phone if need be.

steeringcolumn.jpg

/ Ford 3000 Powersteering
Thanks for the information. I will follow your directions and if I have more problems, I'll post back to you.

/ Ford 3000 Powersteering #5  
Do Not force it!
You will break the little springs in the hydraulic block. $40 apiece.
Crack the lines going to the steering cylinders and pump all of the old oil out of it.
You have problems in the hydraulic control block in the steering column. Probably rust or crud.
Pull the center hood and cowel aroung the fuel tank to get at it.
Pull the top of the column and then the block. Take it all apart. Clean it in lacquer thinner. Check for any broken springs. Make sure all the little plungers and center spool slide freely. Use crocus cloth to polish away any rust.
You will need an I&T FO 30 manual to reassemble and tighten it back up properly.
Absolutely, positively put new upper and lower seals in it - part #s 14 and 35 and put 2 new orings in it #33.
And put a new filter in the pump housing.
They are a good, simple system and will give years of service if serviced once in a while. (which they rarely are)
Post back with any questions - you'll likely have problems reinstalling all the balls, plungers and springs in their correct holes - lots of people do.
Don't be afraid of it. They are pretty simple really.
Post back with any questions or you can PM me through this board.
I'll even talk you through it on the phone if need be.

steeringcolumn.jpg

I just put the steering column back together on my ford 3000 gas tractor after replacing said seals and o-rings that were leaking; now it steers pretty hard. Usually when it felt like this i added a little fluid to the power steering pump and it would turn on a dime;not this time. Not sure if i have something assembled wrong or if i have some kind of air lock. Any help on this would be appreciated.