Ford 3000 Starter Smoking

/ Ford 3000 Starter Smoking #1  

Newbie John

Tractor
1969 Ford 3000
Hello All. I recently purchased a 1969 Ford 3000. It is pretty temperamental when starting. When it is difficult to start, the starter will often smoke accompanied by a burning smell. Any ideas why it may be difficult to get the tractor to turn over?

Additionally, getting the high and low range into neutral appears to be difficult. I often have to jiggle the lever back and forth before the tractor is in neutral and I am able to crank it over.

Any adivce is appreciated!
John

/ Ford 3000 Starter Smoking #2  
Hello All. I recently purchased a 1969 Ford 3000. It is pretty temperamental when starting. When it is difficult to start, the starter will often smoke accompanied by a burning smell. Any ideas why it may be difficult to get the tractor to turn over?

Additionally, getting the high and low range into neutral appears to be difficult. I often have to jiggle the lever back and forth before the tractor is in neutral and I am able to crank it over.

Any adivce is appreciated!
John

How long are you cranking the starter? Most owner manuals tell you not to crank for more than 15- 20 seconds at a time and to let it cool for a minute between startting attempts. Long cranking periods are a good way to let the smoke out of the starter motor.
You didn't mention whether the engine is a diesel of a gas or what ambient temperatures you were operating in.

Diesels are hard to start in cold weather especially if there is high viscosity oil in the crankcase. A block heater can help make starting easier. the battery must be well charged. The fuel and air supply must be adequate(make sure that fuel and air filters are not clogged.)

Gas engine's need to be tuned properly and have a strong spark (read proper point setting, no corrosion or oil on the points, and proper ignition timing)and adequate fuel as well as the correct viscosity lube oil for the ambient temperature conditions. A strong battery is also required.

Last edited:
   / Ford 3000 Starter Smoking #3  
last time I had starter problems on a ford.. and it was a diesel 3000, the inside of the starter was burned up. IE.. lost insulation and internal shorts.

probably form low voltage starts and too long of on vs off duty cycles trying to start it.. etc.

check all connections, bat and cables. good heavy wire is needed.

bad brushes can cause poor starts and burning / smoking as well.

int he end.. you can pull her down and check her out..

if a gasser.. 3rd bolt ain't too hard to get to.. if a diesel.. hope it ain't a twin element filter :) lotsa extensions and a swivel socket or end.. :)

/ Ford 3000 Starter Smoking
The tractor is a disel and we are operating in some cold temperatures 0 - 30F. I'm not sure we are cranking it over longer than 15-20sec, but we may not be giving it enough time between cranks. We'll check out the battery today and see if perhaps its voltage is low. Maybe we just need a new one with better cranking capacity.

Thanks for the resposes!

/ Ford 3000 Starter Smoking #5  
what battery you using? 4dlt is the norm. and you want thick 1 or 2/0 cables.

I also like to run a battery ground to a starter bolt to help out.

are you using any kind of thermal starting aid?

bat maintainer?

blanket?
mag heater? hose heater? etc?

soundguy

/ Ford 3000 Starter Smoking #6  
what battery you using? 4dlt is the norm. and you want thick 1 or 2/0 cables.

I also like to run a battery ground to a starter bolt to help out.

are you using any kind of thermal starting aid?

bat maintainer?

blanket?
mag heater? hose heater? etc?

soundguy

i agree needs to have a 4dlt and run the ground to the starter bolt where it mounts to the bellhousing

/ Ford 3000 Starter Smoking #7  
Even on some of my big gassers I will do that. Have manin braid to normal tractor frame ground, then run an aux cable to a starter bellhousing bolt.. just to help out.

Makes a difference on my 5000 and 7610s diesel for sure!