Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #11  
LD1 and shouk, Thanks to both of you for your help. One question, where is the sending unit for the temp gauge?

Again, thanks!

Thats a good question.

Probabally somewhere on the block or cylinder head. Can you trace the wire from the guage???

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #12  
I think I found it. You didnt mention wether it was a diesel or gas, but no worries, they appear to be the same.

It looks like it is in the cylinder head on the front of the engine right next to where the thermostat housing is where the top radiator hose hooks to the engine.

Go to this link, then select "engine" in the left colum, then select either of the first two that are "cylinder block,......". The sender is part #6 in the diagram.
340 3 CYL UTILITY TRACTOR (3/79-9/81)

Goodluck

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #13  
Wow! Thanks for the link with the information. My bad . . . I did not intend to be so lazy, I could have found that on the New Holland\Ford Parts site.

Many thanks!

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #14  
Wow! Thanks for the link with the information. My bad . . . I did not intend to be so lazy, I could have found that on the New HollandFord Parts site.

Many thanks!

No trouble at all:thumbsup:

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #15  
If you still are having problems, the way the sending units work is based on resistance to ground. Generally as the resistance to ground decreases the gauge reading increases. This makes testing the actual gauge relatively easy. Take the wire off the sending unit on the fuel tank or engine and short it to ground. Make sure you are getting a good connection to ground when you short it and see if the gauge reading goes up. If it does it is more than likely your sending unit. for fuel I usually find that the float has a hole in it and needs fixed or replaced. If the gauges don稚 respond to a short to ground it is usually the connections on the gauges are corroded and need cleaned up, or in the unlikely event the gauge could be bad. Check to make sure the gauges work first. If not check back in and we can go further into the gauge panel. As for the gauges that read up when they should be down (temp in red all the time). Disconnect the wire from the sending unit and it should go to cold. (make sure the wire does not short to ground if your trying to get the gauge to go down)

I have a 3930 Ford with misbehaving fuel gauge. It reads zero. Checked the display needle unit by shorting positive to negative at sender unit, needle went to full mark so seems OK. Negative at sender show continuity with engine bolt. The sender unit has a resistance of 200 or 260 ohms with perhaps 1/2 tank of fuel (measured with different voltmeter settings) so should think it is giving possible good reading, but haven't confirmed that number. The other somewhat odd thing is that the positive lead at the sender unit only reads about 9vdc rather than 12. Could it be the voltage regulator? If I have to take out the sender unit, it would seem hard as it is located right behind the fuse holder panel, and thick cables are attached to that with little free play.

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #16  
My fuel gauge goes to full soon as I turn the key on I think there is some wires crossed I put them back the way they were when I changed the tach cluster army idea on wiring

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #17  
My fuel gauge goes to full soon as I turn the key on I think there is some wires crossed I put them back the way they were when I changed the tach cluster army idea on wiring

No ideas without more information and some pictures. Have no idea what you are even working on. This original post is 3 years old and about a ford 3600. Do you have one of those? or are you working on the 3930 in your sig. You would probably get more help if you started a new thread

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #18  
Without pictures, my guess is you might have pinched the sender wire so that it is grounding out or you hooked the sender lead at the tank to ground

/ Ford 3600 Fuel and Temp Gauges #19  
This is pretty late but maybe someone will see it that needs it. The sending unit on a 1994 Ford 3930 is accessed by opening the hood and removing the fuse box mounting plate. There are two threaded posts with hex nuts that are located underneath the fuse box. Remove the two hex nuts (1/2" socket) and you can remove the mounting plate that holds the fuse box. The sending unit is round with two wires attached. you will see it when you remove the fuse box mounting plate. Does anyone know what resistance the sending unit should have when empty and when full?