Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #11  
Hi Ron I don't recall how many hours are on the clock It is a 94, just changed the fuel filter today I thought that might be the problem. It just wouldn't start after the winter I found some fuel on my floor jack and chainsaw case under the trans thought It lost its prime. I am also not sure if the cranking speed is up to par I have herd that rotary pumps are hard to prime, Going to the farm this weekend I will post up hours and outcome any and all help is greatly appreciated . Bob

Bob..
By your initial description I figured you meant that you had changed the cartridge fuel filter on the side of the engine.

The filter I was referring to is above the shutoff valve in the bottom of the fuel tank, actually part of the shutoff valve. So to be clear, you removed and replaced the shutoff valve that hangs under the 13 gallon fuel tank?
If it was running ok when you shut it down last time, I doubt if anything broke just sitting there. Did you check the air intake filter chamber for mice nests?

The battery might be low after setting all winter reducing the cranking speed, as you said. That big battery is expensive. I have had to replace mine once in 20 years, probably 12 years ago. With a front end loader on, which limits the swing out of that big battery tray, the change out is no fun. Also not fun getting to the back injector for the same reason.
I'm sure you have removed the battery terminals, cleaned, and retightened them.
I figured my old battery would croak for sure this winter since I don't use the 3910 for much anymore but backhoe and loader work. But I got a little trickle charger for it and left it plugged in all winter when not using the tractor. It starts like a new one, still. I also have block heaters in my tractors.

Good luck on your fix and let us know what the solution turned out to be.

With the hot spring haying is early around here.
We always say, "when it's ready, it's ready" and just looses quality if you make it wait.
Ron

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #12  
Hi Ron I don't recall how many hours are on the clock It is a 94, just changed the fuel filter today I thought that might be the problem. It just wouldn't start after the winter I found some fuel on my floor jack and chainsaw case under the trans thought It lost its prime. I am also not sure if the cranking speed is up to par I have herd that rotary pumps are hard to prime, Going to the farm this weekend I will post up hours and outcome any and all help is greatly appreciated . Bob

Can't be a 3910 if it's a 94 model. Must be a ford 3930.

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #13  
   / Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #14  
Sorry I made a mistake it is an 1984

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #16  
Quick update If anyone cares, tore the top cover off the injection pump to find the metering valve stuck in the no fuel position. It has been hard to get to the farm, someone has been in this pump before gobs of silicone all over I will update more findings thanks to all

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #17  
I have a similar problem I was using mine then it started surging then died so I checked water separator and it was full replaced bled finally got it started again but now it did the same thing again so I drained it filled it back up ran for about 15 minutes and died I can start with starting fluid but not on its own then it die again any suggestions mine is the same 3910 from the 80s with a front end loader

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #18  
Did you blead the injector pump, there is a small screw, 5/16 wrench I think, that you take out and have someone crank while the screw is out and put it back in, while still being cranked, when you get steady fuel with no air shooting out. If you don't bleed the pump you will not get fuel to the injectors. Cracking lines at the injectors will bleed the last of the air out of the lines but I've always been able to get it to suck air through just the injectors with ether.
For what is worth ether isn't good for any diesels but that particular one you're better to avoid it completely. I've only needed it to start mine twice, once when it was in the single digits for a week and I really needed to use it and the other time when I had to bleed the pump and couldn't get air to pass through the injectors.

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #19  
Next piece of advice is that if you get it to start get that loader off until you get everything figured out, because removing the injector pump with the loader on would absolutely suck, not that it is fun anyway and if you do have to remove the pump hide the key and unhook the battery cables so that the engine will not crank... if it does crank with the pump off you have to retime the thing.

/ Ford 3910 diesel tractor won't start #20  
thanks I did bled but alone so I will try doing it with help