Ford 3910 starter issue

/ Ford 3910 starter issue #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
As the title says I believe I may have a starter going out on one of my 10 series Fords. For the past year sometimes the starter turns over perfect then others there’s only a cluck then nothing. Key off then back on and it might turn over or might “clunk” again. At first I thought I had a bad connection somewhere but after taking everything off and cleaning it I’ve had the same issue. Does this sound like a starter going out? Normally for me they just slip and squeal when going out. Thoughts?

/ Ford 3910 starter issue #2  
You might jumper around the neutral safety switch for a while and see if that resolves the issue, I did on mine and it turned out to be the issue. The switch was easy to replace.

/ Ford 3910 starter issue
Never even thought of that as I’ve had to replace those before. They seem to go out fairly frequently. Thanks and I’ll give that a shot first.

/ Ford 3910 starter issue #5  
Some of those deals have a small floating pin that moves the switch. They can wear a little and throw the switch out of adjustment. A new switch works for a while then breaks in a bit and quits. Rinse, repeat.

/ Ford 3910 starter issue #6  
It's also possible the contacts inside the solenoid are pitted and not making good contact.

/ Ford 3910 starter issue #7  
Jumpering a voltmeter across the "coil activating" terminals during starting will tell you if the solenoid coil is getting power...which excludes starter switch, safety switch, and wiring if present. Jumpering across the solenoid with a pair of common pliers, (my usual method) will test the solenoid contacts.

Moving the Range Lever back and forth, changing nothing else will identify the safety switch as the culprit. My 1988 3910, bought a couple of years ago with 900 hours had such a problem as I could wiggle the range switch and when I found the sweet spot the tractor would light off immediately. Recalling, and somewhat vague, the problem was the same as "Birdhunter's". I bought a new switch and installed it and it helped but didn't give me 100% reliability.

In investigating the actual depression lever to switch contact, I found that the lever wasn't pushing the ball bearing down far enough. I installed a flat washer somewhere in there and that increased the depth of the lever's penetration such that it was adequate to cause the switch to close reliably.

Don't remember all the little details, but my problem was that the Range Lever wasn't pushing down on the switch hard enough. In summary, you may be able to fix your problem as I did and save the cost of a new switch, or may purchase a new switch and it fix it, or you may have to do as I did and if you buy a new switch and it doesn't work, shim it with a flat washer..or two...forgot where I put the shim. Good luck.

/ Ford 3910 starter issue #8  
You might jumper around the neutral safety switch for a while and see if that resolves the issue, I did on mine and it turned out to be the issue. The switch was easy to replace.
Where is the safety switch located on your machine?