Ford 3930 power steering

/ Ford 3930 power steering #1  

B.Shaw

Tractor
1993 ford 3930
My Ford 3930 calls for hydraulic oil In the power steering unit. It has regular Power steering fluid in it. Are they compatible, or do I need to flush the power steering fluid out before putting the correct oil in The Reservoir?

/ Ford 3930 power steering #2  
Power steering fluid is better. They work together just fine. Motor oil works too, but is more expensive. Type F is a good fluid for power steering also. I'm meaning red power steering fluid. I used to work at Ford new Holland.

/ Ford 3930 power steering
The tractor manual call for the same hydraulic fluid as the rest of the tractor and I was just wondering after I use regular power steering fluid if it would affect the seals in the unit.

/ Ford 3930 power steering #4  
Use the same hydraulic fluid that the tractor uses, am guessing AW 46. Have been using taht in both systems of my Ford 4610 since I bought it new in 1984.

/ Ford 3930 power steering #5  
If you want to get down to basic functions, you could use water for either. The problem is that each oil or fluid is made to a purpose and has different additives as well as different fluid bases. It's not a good idea to mix different fluids for this reason as the additives may react with each other and destroy seals or bearings. Stick with the manufacturer's spec for the purpose.

ALL of these are a type of "hydraulic oil":
Brake fluid
Power steering fluid
Automatic transmission fluid
Tractor transmission fluid
Motor oil
Jack oil

And there are various grades and specs within each.