Ford 4000 ?????

/ Ford 4000 ????? #1  

BuzzyG

Bronze Member
I am looking at a machine that is unusual in two ways. It is a three cylinder gas, although the info I can find online says the 4000 was only made as a four cylinder.

It is also yellow, and I cannot find an online picture of anything but blue.

If you can add some wisdom to this concern, I would appreciate it.

/ Ford 4000 ????? #2  
Ford built two series of 4000 tractors. 4 cylinder tractors were built 1962-1964. 3 cylinder tractors were built from 1965 to 1975. If the yellow paint is original, it ia an Industrial derivitive of the 4000 all purpose such as the 4400 or 4500. The actual model number is stamped on the flat area of the clutch housing just behind the starter along with the serial number and unit code. The same info is on a data plate on the underside of the hinged half of the hood. If the plate is still there.

/ Ford 4000 ?????
Thanks, RickB. Industrial derivative meaning just a different market or an actual change in the machine?

/ Ford 4000 ????? #4  
Changes in the machine such as different front axle and bolster, steering system, transmission, final drive ratio, tire and wheel equipment, paint scheme, grille shell, PTO and hitch options. Some or all of these differences.

/ Ford 4000 ????? #5  
To me if it a industrial tractor its a better tractor much beefier but may also have been worked harder.

/ Ford 4000 ????? #6  
To me if it a industrial tractor its a better tractor much beefier but may also have been worked harder.

It's all about intended uses. Industrial tractors aren't much good if you want decent ground clearance or to change the front track width.

/ Ford 4000 ????? #8  
Don't know much about this tractor. But, I just wanted to add that I have a friend that has a diesel 4000 with a loader on it. He bush hogs a large part of his 100 acres with it. Seems reliable except for the front end: tie rods are tiny and have broken several times. So, an industrial model that may have a heavier front end would be an improvement, at least based on the experience my friend has had with his.

/ Ford 4000 ????? #9  
Plus adding a PTO could be a real pain.
True mine came with a PTO but i do believe that it was common for them not to. If you plan to have a loader on a tractor you will find the frontend is bigger and will aid in that type of work if you want a row crop tractor this is not what your looking for.