Ford 4400 restore

/ Ford 4400 restore
I haven't updated the thread in a while. Been working 7days/week for the last few months, making while its there kinda thing. Here's a few pictures. I put heat in the garage(best thing ever)hooked up the new lathe and managed to get a few things done on the tractor. I've gotten the ties rods connected. I put left hand threads on the ends of a 10" shaft to connect it, cleaned/primed a little bit for paint. The more I tear into this thing, the more there is to be fixed. I'm rebuilding the power steering pump and the main hydraulic pump right now. The main hydro. pump worked but made a little noise. I got into it yesterday and two piston springs were broke. I'm off this weekend so I'm hoping to get a lot done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 114
   / Ford 4400 restore
I haven't updated this thread in a long time but I finally got the full hydraulic steering finished. It works like a dream!!! I can turn the wheel with one finger. The more I started working on the tractor the more I found wrong. I rebuilt the lift cover, power steering pump, main tractor hydro pump, replaced all the gaskets, bushings in the clutch/break levers and a new wire harness. I Made a new break cross shaft. I started the tractor today and the steering worked perfect. I primed the hydraulic system with a $3 oil exchange hand pump from HF, it worked great after a few mods. The 3ph works perfect now, it never worked before. I still have about 10hrs to fix some small fuel leaks, paint, get the loader back on and marry her up with the back hoe. I'll get pictures of everything tomorrow.

/ Ford 4400 restore
Here's a few pictures of the valve and ram mounted. I took the tie rod spindle brackets and moved them to the front of the tractor. Then, I moved right bracket to the left side and left to right. Turned a new 12" tie rod to connect to both sides. I machined the steering base down a about 5", I wanted the steering valve low so I could fit the cowl and gas tank without having to modifying them. I used diamond plate to fill the holes. Still have more to do but its really coming along now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 119
   / Ford 4400 restore
Here she is, its not the best paint job in town but its a heck of a lot better than before. I hated the industrial yellow & blue colors so I made her all blue. I have about 1 full day of work left and the tractor portion will finally be finished, excluding the bucket repairs, its trashed. I picked up a 2475lb. bridgeport, she didnt like it, but she did it. When I'm moving/driving with a full load the steering worked great but it goes in to relief when I was tying to turn the wheels while sitting still. If the steering works with a full load of gravel I'll leave it as is. Its not like I'm going to be picking up/moving bridgeports everyday. Worst cast, I'll run the steering cylinder off the tractor hydraulics, its more than 2x the pump pressure and I'm sure I'll be happy with that. I'm marrying her with the BH by labor day and it won't be coming off anytime soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.6 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 165
   / Ford 4400 restore #36  
don't feel bad about the color change. I just painted my 941D with all grey tin instead of red highlights.. tin was too beat up to make look perfectt.