Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #1  

CMWood

Tractor
1969 4500
Hi all! new here. Wondering if anyone knows much about this machine? I "think" it is a 1969 4500 Ford with an EMCO/ELWOOD 4x4/4 wheel hydraulic steer conversion. This was my great uncles, from paperwork found in his shop, he bought it in the 70's and used it with his concrete business until he retired in the late 90's. It has been stored indoors since his retirement. I haven't found much info on the conversion other than they seem to have been popular in the UK and were used for railway work? The backhoe is sloppy, brakes are INOP, steering is all a bit loose, has some leaks and dry hoses, otherwise seems to operate like it should. The small lever next to the shifters selects the steering options, front wheel only or 4 wheel or a 4 wheel sideways-crabwalk option.
new0.jpg
new3.jpg
new5.jpg
new4.jpg

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #2  
Great machine!

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #3  
Can I assume that you already found this post in YT from 2012?

Interesting conversion. Sounds like most of the problems are with the Emco components. The backhoe slop is on the Ford side.

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #4  
Wow that is a rare machine. I have never seen anything like it. Most of the Emco conversions were stuffing a power wagon axle under the front of the tractor to make it 4x4. Please post more pictures of it! especially of the rear axle.

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion
Can I assume that you already found this post in YT from 2012?

Interesting conversion. Sounds like most of the problems are with the Emco components. The backhoe slop is on the Ford side.
I did not, thanks!!

Wow that is a rare machine. I have never seen anything like it. Most of the Emco conversions were stuffing a power wagon axle under the front of the tractor to make it 4x4. Please post more pictures of it! especially of the rear axle.
As requested. Rear, and Front diff, and trans case.

Attachments

• ford trans case rear.jpg
    ford trans case rear.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ford rear.jpg
    ford rear.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ford rear mount.jpg
    ford rear mount.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 37
  • ford rear d.jpg
    ford rear d.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 37
  • ford rear c.jpg
    ford rear c.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ford rear b.jpg
    ford rear b.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 44
  • ford rear a.jpg
    ford rear a.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 40
  • ford frt.jpg
    ford frt.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 33
  • ford frt a.jpg
    ford frt a.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 36
  • ford trns case frt.jpg
    ford trns case frt.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 33
   / Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #7  
Wow that is a really neat unit. Thank you very much for posting the photos. Very cool machine!

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #8  
Looks like Eaton HO72 axle housings. So, instead of a "Power wagon" axle, you've got ancient obsolete heavy duty GM running gear. Neat tractor!

/ Ford 4500 4x4 EMCO conversion #9  
Is it diesel or gas?

Its a gas engine. I have been able to find brake parts under F2 truck numbers, wheel bearings were easy, spicer makes gaskets, seals and a few other parts that I've looked for. If something big breaks though...I may be out of luck.