Oil & Fuel Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump??

/ Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump?? #1  

Claytonfarms

Tractor
Ford 550 TLB
Hello all,

I am new to posting but have been following TBN for months.

My brother gave me a 72 Ford 4500 TLB 3 cyl diesel 4300 hrs showing after I cleaned all the dirt off, no tach cable. I do not know the history on it, neither does he but it has some issues. I do know it has not been run much in the last year or 2, maybe 3 - 4 hours. Mostly has been sitting in his yard. The throttle was broken so when he did use it, mostly at very low rpms.

Engine issues:

1. Smokes bad, at idle, running, all the time thick white smoke which hangs in the air and will cover my yard.
2. Spitting black oil (fuel?) out of exhaust. So much you are covered in a few minutes - vertical exhaust.
3. Water in oil. I removed the valve cover and it looks like water, clear puddles not green like coolant. Coolant level does not drop, I pressure tested it for 5 hours and oil level and coolant level did not change.

I think it may be a fuel delivery or compression issue. I do not have a compression tester that will fit this engine trying to locate one.

So far I have changed the oil and oil filter twice, replaced the fuel filter, drained the old fuel and filled with new, set injection timing, was way off. I removed the exhaust manifold and the oil is coming from cyls 1 and 2 only. Cyl 3 seems to be weak, the exhaust does not get that hot on cyl 3 when running. The manifold had a lot of black carbon inside.

I have not run the engine much due to the water in oil issue.

The injection pump leaks a little from the shut off lever and throttle shafts.

Could these small leaks cause these problems?
How can I test the injection pump output pressure? What should it be?
Anything else I could / should check?

The machine has other issues, if I can get it to run right, I may keep it. If not I do not think it is worth fixing. I can get this type of machine for $3,000 to $5,000 all the time around here so an engine change is out of the question.

Thanks

/ Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump?? #2  
water in oil.. easy.. CHNAGE oil.

if it keeps getting water inthe oil.. it's coming from somewhere.

keep an eye on coolant.

if coolant isn't going down.. the engine must have been waterlogged. flush well.

the slobber it's getting may from not being run.

once you get the water issue handled.. address the smoke.. which may go away when there is no water vapor int he engine.

run her hard to see if the slobber clears up. many machines that were idled.. perhaps to run a hoe.. build up excessive soot and fuel and water inthe exhaust system and it slobbers bad.. this hcan take hours of hard work to dry up.

post back

/ Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump??
After 3 oil changes, water seems to be gone. I am going to run it for a while to see what happens.

The slobber is fuel, I changed the fuel pressure needed to open the injectors and there is a lot less smoke. I have been running it a little to clear up the oil.

I removed the exhaust manifold and cleaned it out. The slobber seems to be from cyl 3 only now, most of it has cleared up.

I ran it for a couple of minutes with the manifold off, Cyl 3 exhaust does not get hot?? Possible engine issue.

I had another question, the front of the oil pan should have 2 big studs and shims to the steering assy. When I got the unit, these studs and shims are gone!!
Any way to determine what should be there? What happens if I just put new bolts in it?

After running it I think the water killed a rod bearing. I can hear a knock after it warms up. I was going to remove the oil pan when I noticed the studs missing.

Thanks.

/ Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump?? #4  
might as well.

coolant will eat bearings. if you are luck it's just a shell gone..

/ Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump??
Any tips for removing the oil pan?

We have jacks etc, I think it would be easier to remove the front with another loader but none available.

I have found very small silver chips of metal in the drained oil the last 2 oil changes. I hope it is just a bearing and the crank etc is ok but it is loud and I do not know when it started, the oil had not been changes in at least 4 years!!

/ Ford 4500 Engine Smokes, Exhaust spitting oil --Injection Pump?? #6  
silver chips.. hmm...