Ford 4610 or 6610

/ Ford 4610 or 6610 #1  

redman135

Veteran Member
Tractor
Case 105c
Hello all, I would like to know points to look for on a Ford 4610 or 6610 4X4 FEL. That is what are the common problem areas on these tractors?
For example,Does the manifold have a drip hole to let water out so the water does not get into the head?

I spotted one 3 years ago and it appeared to be simply parked for some weeks and had a bit of green mould on it (common in winter on vehicles parked out side).
Fast foward 3 years and has not moved in that time and is now almost covered in lichen.
hmmmm.

/ Ford 4610 or 6610 #4  
Both are good tractors as stated above. Do you need 4X4? If so, there's your answer. Do you need a big or small tractor?

/ Ford 4610 or 6610 #5  
We had a 4610 at work for years and I loaded many, many dump trucks with it. It had the first detachable loader I ever saw and could run a 15' batwing mower through heavy grass and brush at a decent rate. The one big problem we with it was the power steering valve leaking. Our fleet mechanics at the time were really busy so we sent it to the dealership. They fixed the leak but they screwed up the shift linkage and refused to fix their foul up without another PO, said our driver should have caught it before he loaded it on the haul truck. So we grudgingly sent it back with another PO and the linkage was fixed but the power steering started leaking again! Dealership again refused to own up to their mistake and said they need yet another PO to fix it. Lawyers said it would cost more to litigate than the old tractor was worth so we kinda mothballed it until it went to auction. At the time it was quite amusing watching a big outfit get schooled by a little dealership. After all that, I would buy one in a second if opportunity and money matched up, it was a workhorse.

/ Ford 4610 or 6610 #6  
Those 80s-90s vintage Fords are great tractors, I have several.

/ Ford 4610 or 6610
strum456, a 4610 is a regular tractor. This one has a detatchable front end loader.
Birdhunter1, Shaneard, mwayne, and Happy Gilmore, thanks for the comments. It sounds like there is no specific weakness to avoid, just owner neglect to be concerned about.

/ Ford 4610 or 6610 #8  
strum456, a 4610 is a regular tractor. This one has a detatchable front end loader.
Birdhunter1, Shaneard, mwayne, and Happy Gilmore, thanks for the comments. It sounds like there is no specific weakness to avoid, just owner neglect to be concerned about.

There's a pretty big difference between the two. We have a 4610 and a 7600 (same as a 66, just has a turbo). Both of ours are 2 wheel drive. Between those two, it would really depend on your intended purpose. For us, I wouldn't want to be caught without either one!

You are pretty much right- neglect is about all that happens to them. I would lift up the front with the loader and check out all the bushings. Also, pay particular attention to how the cooling system has been cared for. Have the been using SCA?

/ Ford 4610 or 6610
I went and spoke to the owner of the tractor and it turns out the tractor is a "project" that he has not got to.
So, no sale and it continues to sit out side and rust.

/ Ford 4610 or 6610 #10  
I have a 5610 4x4 with a FEL and a 2WD 3910. The 5610 (near the same physical size as a 6610..just less HP) is great for jobs where I need a loader and the extra weight the tractor has, but it just feels cumbersome. I personally prefer using the 3910 for any job that it will handle...turns in a fraction of the space and is fuel efficient. If I were to get down to one tractor, I'd go for a 4610 as it is a stout tractor that handles CAT2 equipment and would be a good compromise. Just my two cents and it all depends what you are going to use it for...if moving big bails then maybe the 6610 would be better.