Ford 4610 trailer conundrum

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum
It is 4x4 with a full cab and loader. I think it is around 9000 lbs. Are your tires filled? Mine are not. Do you have wheel weights?

I would look at 10,000 GVW trailers for what you are doing. Then you will have room to spare on the weight rating (less room if you have wheel weights). I wouldn't want a deck-over either for my uses either. It would be really hard for me to get my street-rod on it.

I would look at getting fold up ramps with the legs that sit on the ground to support the back of the trailer. Without the legs, your tractor will lift the back of your truck right off the ground. Always block your trailer tires when loading.

No wheel weights, no loaded tires. I will say though, I do need to add front wafer weights at some point in time, but those can easily be removed & thrown in the pickup bed when hauling.

Wow, so you're towing a 9000lb tractor on a 10k GVW trailer. :O

Yeah, some ppl block, some ppl don't. I'll definitely block or get the ramps with legs.

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum #52  
Yes, a 9000 pound machine with a 10000 gvw trailer. Technically that would be over weight, since the trailer is 2000 lbs. But dont forget to subtract the 10% tongue weight :D

I can't remember the rule exactly, but I looked it up in the code for PA and I don't think they can fine you until you are 1000 or 2000 pounds over, something like that. Clearly, this is not an ideal situation. I go for years without putting my tractor on the trailer. It works when I need to haul it though.

Last edited:
I go for years without putting my tractor on the trailer. It works when I need to haul it though.

I'll be in the same boat. At the moment, I have no need to take my 4610 anywhere.

But, I just want to make sure I have a trailer than can, if I need to...

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum #54  
So, back to your initial problem. Your tractor is 82" wide? I don't think you will have a problem finding an 81" trailer. I havent seen any wider than that, unfortunately. My tractor is exactly 81", and it squeezes on (not ideal, but it works). Could there be a little error in your measurements? I find it difficult to accurately measure from one tire to another. Try leaning long boards so they span the tires and stick out the back. Then measure between them.

So, back to your initial problem. Your tractor is 82" wide? I don't think you will have a problem finding an 81" trailer. I havent seen any wider than that, unfortunately. My tractor is exactly 81", and it squeezes on (not ideal, but it works). Could there be a little error in your measurements? I find it difficult to accurately measure from one tire to another. Try leaning long boards so they span the tires and stick out the back. Then measure between them.

Actually, I got that measurement down to 78" by moving the rim centers.

So that issue is solved, now I just have to decide on a trailer.

I checked my Ford 575D TLB yesterday, and that measures out at 88", so was wider than I thought.

I'm actually getting that moved tomorrow, as I need it at my brothers shop so I can reseal the swing cylinder. That machine is ~17,000 lbs :) No way I'll ever have a setup to tow that one...

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum #56  
How would a DOT enforcement stop get me into trouble exactly? I would not be overweight, some of you guys... :confused2:

EDIT: Nevermind about the CDL, I can tow up to 10,000 lbs GVW, and the total cannot exceed 26,000 lbs, not 16,000 lbs. So yeah, a 10,000 GVW trailer is as heavy as I can buy.

You have to be both under the total tag weight AND each axle must be under the max load for it. People often get the total weight right, but the load balance wrong. Also if the axle is over, the tires may be over. If the tires are over, the rims may be over to. Each has it's own little penalty. So one axle, can also mean 2 tires and 2 rims too! Once the DOT has their claws out, the bill is commonly over 1000.

On CDL, you can pull more than 10k WITHOUT a CDL. I do it all the time! (BUT some states don't allow it -- check your state) In our state and many others; If the trailer is over 10,000, the total has to be under 26k. If the trailer is 10k or less, the truck can be 26k for a total of 36k.
That's my experience, you are free to do as you see fit. (and pay what ever fines that may bring!)

You have to be both under the total tag weight AND each axle must be under the max load for it. People often get the total weight right, but the load balance wrong. Also if the axle is over, the tires may be over. If the tires are over, the rims may be over to. Each has it's own little penalty. So one axle, can also mean 2 tires and 2 rims too! Once the DOT has their claws out, the bill is commonly over 1000.

On CDL, you can pull more than 10k WITHOUT a CDL. I do it all the time! (BUT some states don't allow it -- check your state) In our state and many others; If the trailer is over 10,000, the total has to be under 26k. If the trailer is 10k or less, the truck can be 26k for a total of 36k.
That's my experience, you are free to do as you see fit. (and pay what ever fines that may bring!)

Yeah, it's the same here in New York, for now...

I'm sure eventually the gov't will not allow us to tow anything, and soon after that we will no longer be allowed to drive ourselves, the cars will drive for us.

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum #58  
Yeah, it's the same here in New York, for now...

I'm sure eventually the gov't will not allow us to tow anything, and soon after that we will no longer be allowed to drive ourselves, the cars will drive for us.

Sadly, that's true and being pushed for by the teamsters. If they have their way, you will need a union card to go along with that CDL for all trailers.

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum #59  
Ouch, well, as a mechanical engineer who designs machines that have the potential to injure and/or kill if I don't design in sufficient safety factor. I find it hard to believe that trailers are designed to snap in half when they hit a bump carrying their max load. However, there are many places out there that buy axles, manufacture and sell trailers, maybe not all trailer manufacturers design in proper safety factors for shock loading.

I'm not even sure I want to buy a trailer anymore... :laughing:

i can say that i loaded a trialmaster 28ft dual tandem trailer and it snapped the neck off when we hit a bad pot whole

/ Ford 4610 trailer conundrum #60  
Ouch, well, as a mechanical engineer who designs machines that have the potential to injure and/or kill if I don't design in sufficient safety factor. I find it hard to believe that trailers are designed to snap in half when they hit a bump carrying their max load. However, there are many places out there that buy axles, manufacture and sell trailers, maybe not all trailer manufacturers design in proper safety factors for shock loading.

I'm not even sure I want to buy a trailer anymore... :laughing:

i see it all the time. a local trailer place sells a 16' 7k rated landscape trailer, and a 16' 7k ratted car hauler. car hauler has 3" angle iron frame and 4 in some places near the axle and spring hangers. '2' 3500 axles and wood deck, 2x6 weights about 1740# 'dry' with 2 ramps

the landscape special has 2" angle frame, and 3" at the axle and spring hangers. has a top rail bar that is also angle iron, has a fold down ramp that is 1" tube steel and all expanded metal floor and ramp. weighs 1300# dry.. Every day I see these trailers with someone throwing some 3/4" plywwod ont he expanded metal deck and on t he ramp, and hauling a 30hp tractor and mower on it :(

2 3500# axles does not a 7k trailer make. See a guy that had the trailer bowed with t he rar 3-4" lower than the front due to weight sag.. as he drove it the thing flexed all over, front to back, side to side... :( I bet if he hit a pothole like FWJ said, at 60, that trailer frame would bottom out int he back and fold at the axle hangers...

soundguy