Ford 5000 question.

/ Ford 5000 question. #1  

StoneHeartFarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650/AC B210
I'm looking at a Ford 5000 that I can snag for $1,500.00. It needs an alternator/generator and the shift (control) cable for the selectoOspeed transmission. The owner mentioned having a difficult time finding the shift cable. Anybody had to go through this with one? Ideas?

Steve

/ Ford 5000 question. #2  
Hi Steve, I've always heard the same thing about Selectospeed: Run, as fast as you can away from them. I think JMIII had something more intelligent to say about them some time ago /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ford 5000 question. #3  
I passed on a 4000 ( i think it was a 4000 ) with the selecto-speed shifter that was also broke.
I can't recall ever seeing parts for one available.

Not having had one apart.. I can't imagine that it is imposible to fabricate parts though... you might just have to get creative, and know what you are up against.

Over on the ytmag 8-9-2N board, we see a sherman aux tranny that was cable shifted every now and then.. those people are in the same boat. The cable shifter idea went away very shortly due to problems, and instead became a lever operated shifter... again.. we tell them the same thing... see if they can rig up some sort of a cable shifter, etc.

good luck!

Soundguy

/ Ford 5000 question. #4  
quit looking at the Ford 5K w/selecto matic. I jsut got rid of one. They are problematic to say the least. When one calls Ford, and they tell you, biggest mistake we ever made, that should tell you something. It most likely is not the cable either. I lost 4 out of 10 gears, then the think started locking up and in all the wrong opportune times and places. Do yourself a favor and stay away from them. They aren't worth 150 never mind 1500

/ Ford 5000 question. #5  
You know, I must belong to the luckiest farming family on earth. First, I read about all these people having woes with disc mowers and we've had only a couple of problems with our Kuhn since 1985 (I'll admit this year, just a week ago, a weld on the break away arm broke and we had to have it rewelded, and also had to replace the PTO shaft because when the mower bent backwards too far, it bent the shaft). Anyway, that same mower is hooked to the back of, you guessed it, a Ford 5000 (1968 model, I think) with a Select-o-Speed tranny. This has been our hay mowing tractor since 1985, as well has plowing, disking and seeding for the years that we did corn, tobacco plots, general farming tasks, etc etc. We've had some problems with the carbuerator (gas engine), power steering and blew a hydraulic line once, but never any problems with the transmission.

But it's not just the guys on this board; guys at work talk about the select o speed like its a dog, although I don't think any of them personally had one go south. It's similar, I think, to the JD 2010 that I had; about 2/3 or people say it is an awful tractor, 1/3 say it's fine - it all depends on who you ask. I think the bad news is usually more overwhelming because folks talk about stuff when it goes bad but not so much when it goes right - not too many posts where folks log on just to say - hey, my transmission has had no problems!

I have no idea if parts are difficult to come by or not; I contend that in this day and age of the internet, every part is findable. When working on my 2010, I had to do a lot of searching and calling, but I found everypart but 1, and I had it fabricated at a local machine shop. I'd check to see if the part you need can be had fairly easily/cheaply and go from there.

/ Ford 5000 question. #6  
I owned an Industrial Ford 4000 with Select-O-Speed transmission and FEL for five years. I sold it for $1000 and was thrilled to see it leave my property. My transmission worked...every single gear...10 fwd, 2 rev, but I called it my "Select-O-Leak" transmission, because it had to be refilled with hydraulic oil very often. The idea of a manually shifted transmission that works with bands like an automatic was probably way ahead of its time. How about this? If you had a car with a 1965 vintage automatic and you couldn't find parts for it, what would you do if it broke? You'd go from salvage yard to salvage yard looking for parts and paying three prices for them if you were lucky enough to find them. One fellow told me he had a new standard tranny he would sell me for $3000 and charge $1000 to install it.

Bottom line for me is that you can get a lot of work out of one of those tractors, but if it has problems, you will spend most of your time trying to keep it running. Of course, the engine wheels, tires, radiator, and body parts are worth a lot. You might buy it, try it, and part it out if you don't like it. $1500 is not too much to put into a project tractor. Just be aware that SOS trannies have more problems than most. If they have not been maintained, they tend to self-destruct more rapidly than a gear transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Ford 5000 question.
Thanks for the answers guys. I think I'll let this one pass. $1,500 sounds good, but I don't think I want a lawn ornament quite that big. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Steve

/ Ford 5000 question. #8  
My cousin had one with the Select o speed and had toubles wit h it so he bit the bullet and paid 800 for a used standard 4000 transmission. The bolt patterns are the same. I think his was a 14 00 dollar rig lol.

/ Ford 5000 question. #9  
What year is it? Before 1965 the select-O-speeds were junk. After 1965 they were fine. I had a 1968 Ford 4000 with no problems at all with the tranny. The problems with that tractor was the hydraulics and power steering were acting up. As for tranny parts you should be able to get them or at least locate them thru your Ford/NH dealer. I have a friend who has a select o speed 4000 for his pulling tractor at the tractor pulls and he does great with it. Won the pull at the last tractor show a couple weekends ago.

/ Ford 5000 question.
Robert,

The numbers on the tractor indicate it was made November 3, 1970, day shift. Best info I've gotten so far is that the cable is no longer available from New Holland. This would make sense, since most models have at least a few parts that are unavailable after 20 to 30 years.

Steve