Sickle Bar Ford 501 sickle bar help

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #11  
OK, thanks guys. I think I'll just go ahead and replace the individual sections if the new hold downs aren't too expensive. Thanks again for the help.

Hedgepeth Supply here in Canmer may have the sections and high rise hold downs + bolts as a kit. Ken Sweet

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #12  
Bolts are the way to go, but I put all new on with rivets because I would've had to order the high rise hold downs and the farm supply here had rivets in stock. It was a bit of a pain, but wasn't too bad considering I probably won't do it very often. I used an air chisel to knock off the old rivets and it worked pretty good. It was about $40 for the sections and rivets for my 6' bar.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #13  
I've ordered whole bars with the drive head attached for my JD 7ft sickle for under $100 from webb sickle service. google search it. Bolts are the way to go IMO. Way quicker and easier to replace in the field. I keep a hammer, punch and a 7/16 wrench in my tractor tool box, everything i would need to replace a section in the field.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help
Thanks for the webbs sickle site. I checked there and a new bolted assembly with head is $162, without head is $96. With that I would still need to get new hold downs to accommodate bolts. Looks like it will be cheaper just to do the sections - a little more time, but shouldn't take too long. Thanks again.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #15  
Personally I like the rivets, old school, kinda satisfying beating on them with a hammer.

To take the old ones off I use a vice, almost closed and left loose, put the bad section in the slot with the bar on the solid jaw. 1 or 2 whacks on the back of the bad section will shear the old rivets.

Dean

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #16  
Here is a nice sickle tool we sell to remove rivets and install mower sections. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• rivittoolkitforebaycost54sellat89.JPG
    rivittoolkitforebaycost54sellat89.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 341
   / Ford 501 sickle bar help #17  
Personally I like the rivets, old school, kinda satisfying beating on them with a hammer.

To take the old ones off I use a vice, almost closed and left loose, put the bad section in the slot with the bar on the solid jaw. 1 or 2 whacks on the back of the bad section will shear the old rivets.

Dean

Me too. Been doing it that way for years.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #18  
Hello, If you want, i can send you 2 PDF files, one of the owners manual and the other is the complete parts cat. for it,,,I scanned the 2 books my self.:drink:

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help
Hello, If you want, i can send you 2 PDF files, one of the owners manual and the other is the complete parts cat. for it,,,I scanned the 2 books my self.:drink:

That would be great - I'd love to have them. PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Thanks again.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar help #20  
Hi, I am a new member and still trying to figure out the forum, I found your thread very interesting since I am looking at a Ford 501 sickle bar to do exactly what you want to do. My question is that I have a 2003 Kubota L3430 and I am wondering if it will hook up Ok. Thanks for any help!