ford 545D steering is hard

/ ford 545D steering is hard #1  

rynophiliac

Tractor
Ford 545d
I haven't used this tractor in about 1 1/2 years but when I started it up today and drove it around the power steering is real hard. Feels like I'm driving a 1970s muscle car with no power steering. I remember it used to steer real easy. All the other hydraulics are working fine. Just the steering is tough. Unfortunately I don't have an owners manual for this machine. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is there anything I should check before taking it into the repair shop? And does anyone know where I could get my hands on an owners manual?

/ ford 545D steering is hard #2  
My ford 4500 is acting the same way, hard steering. There is a screen on the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir that can clog up. That's on a 4500 though. don't know if yours is the same.

/ ford 545D steering is hard #3  
The operator's manual may or may not be helpful...some are overly simplistic, and some actually have useful info in them (haven't seen that particular one to be able to comment). Still, it won't hurt to get one, but I'd be more interested in the parts manual which will help you trace problems, find things like filters and screens, etc.

You may want to shop around for the best price, but you can find all the manuals here:

Ford 545D Manual Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manuals Shop