Backhoe Ford 555 power steering cylinders

/ Ford 555 power steering cylinders #1  

BenL

Tractor
Ford 1700
Picked up a Ford 555 backhoe, knew the power steering cylinders were leaking. Got them torn down and discovered rods are 0.75”, not 0.685”. Part number listed on cylinder barrel is C5NN 3A739F. Can’t find either that part number or 3/4” seal kit anywhere. In good shape besides seals. Any thoughts before I drop $600 on new cylinders?

/ Ford 555 power steering cylinders #2  
Picked up a Ford 555 backhoe, knew the power steering cylinders were leaking. Got them torn down and discovered rods are 0.75”, not 0.685”. Part number listed on cylinder barrel is C5NN 3A739F. Can’t find either that part number or 3/4” seal kit anywhere. In good shape besides seals. Any thoughts before I drop $600 on new cylinders?
Have you tried a hydraulics shop?

/ Ford 555 power steering cylinders #3  
I have a 555E that I had the steering cylinders rebuilt last year. Took my forever to figure out how to get it out, but then it was easy. I took it to the rebuild shop and they charged my $100 to make it new again.

I didn't know this place existed until the Parts Guy at New Holland Construction told me that's where they take all their hydraulic cylinders. Might be worth asking them where they go.

/ Ford 555 power steering cylinders #4  
Sounds like it has the later years cylinders on it, parts book shows the later ones to have .787 dia. rods. (They call them 20mm) I’ve been away from Ford since 1998, so I’ve forgotten some stuff, I thought they made the rods black instead of chrome when they went larger.
Looking at the Messicks parts site, It looks like kit #86516209

Hopefully RickB will see this and can guide you to the correct kit

/ Ford 555 power steering cylinders #5  
I did my own on the Ford 3910. I don't remember where I got them but it was probably E-bay or Yesterdays Tractor at that time. That's when I found one cylinder was different. It must have been replaced at some point but the kits still worked. They also had the complete cylinders for ~$250.

I just looked at YT but they show a 555, A, B, C, D and E. :unsure:

/ Ford 555 power steering cylinders
Sounds like it has the later years cylinders on it, parts book shows the later ones to have .787 dia. rods. (They call them 20mm) I’ve been away from Ford since 1998, so I’ve forgotten some stuff, I thought they made the rods black instead of chrome when they went larger.
Looking at the Messicks parts site, It looks like kit #86516209

Hopefully RickB will see this and can guide you to the correct kit

I saw where they went to the bigger ones, these are chrome and caliper to 0.75 dead on. If I went with a larger seal kit I’m afraid they’d still leak. I’ll check with my local shop.