Ford 555C backhoe questions

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions
$14K delivered to my yard. Was owned by Tony Cobb of Nashville before me. I have a call in too him to learn more about it, particularly how to activate the additional hydraulic lines to the front. (I am guessing grapple or vibe compactor) lines.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #12  
AlanB said:
$14K delivered to my yard. Was owned by Tony Cobb of Nashville before me. I have a call in too him to learn more about it, particularly how to activate the additional hydraulic lines to the front. (I am guessing grapple or vibe compactor) lines.

Or more commonly, a 4-in-1 bucket or a power broom. :)

Usually a compactor is run off the backhoe dipperstick ;)

That makes sense.

So where, or maybe "what" should I be looking for to "energize" that circuit? I am hoping this guy calls me back and tells me, but I may have to run it down as well. I am not finding any extra switches or valves in the cab that I cannot tell what they do.

I may have to run the hose's back and see where they are hooked Maybe they have them powered all the time? But it does not seem likely.

There are also two wires there with the hoses that look dead ended.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #14  
Maybe the front bucket has a quick release hydraulic attachment? Mine has a setup like that added for switching between the bucket and a set of forks.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #15  
Alan,
We had a 555C up until a year ago. I sold it on after my dad died as I hadn't the work to justify keeping it, much as I would have liked too.
It was 2wd but had the hydro shuttle with 4 spd trans. The floor lever had an inch or two of play, yet was still tight to mate into gear on a road shift. I think to some degree it is the nature of the beast. Ours was always that way.

I sold the service manual with the digger, but I recall it was hard piped down the loader boom to the bucket. The dealer advised they all come this way. You have to add an additional valve kit or switching to get the extra function. If I recall an extra switch is added to the loader joystick for electro hydraulic control.

Hope this is of some help. They are a very robust machine. We only had two faults with ours in the time we had it.
1) driveshaft seal on rear wheel failed. What a nightmare to field fit. Dealers mechanic came to do it. Said it took him 2 hrs in shop. At site it took 9hrs. Complete drivetrain has to be released and dropped independently of subframe to give clearance to remove driveshaft.
2) Cable to hand throttle on side console snapped. A cheap item to purchase, but installing requires removal of console, various cables, pipes etc, but worst of all fuel tank as cable is routed up and around the front firewall. I recall it being an all day weekend job for my father and I.

Still, all the joys of owning an excavator.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #16  
on our 555d you turn or twist the loader joystick.my 675e is sameway

Spoke with the former owner at length yesterday, he does septics and excavating, and just had his machine in too take care of a couple minor problems (alternator and bucket control linkage) and decided to upgrade to newer machines.

I paid what he was given in trade for it. I know they still made money all around, but at least I feel that I was not gouged on price.

He runs his own equipment, I like that a lot. I know from the mowing business that Hanna can run a mower and it will not tear up, but when we put employees on them, I have a hard time keeping them going.

The aux hoses on the loader arms where there when he bought the machine, and he does not know how to actuate them, he never connected anything too them.

Sounds like a pictures and TBN research project :)

Think I found a set of Forks for it for $300 as well, may try and go get them this weekend.

Thumb is coming up next on my list of wants.

Glass guy is going by to look at it today and shoot me a price for a windshield.

I meant to see if I could twist the joystick, that would make sense. These hoses do seem like an "add on" more then a factory deal though. I know, pictures tell a better story.

Thanks for the input guys.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #18  
Do these hoses have quick disconnects on the ends of them? May hve been just plumbed for aux front equipment from the factory, but never had the stick and valve installed in the cab....

Yes, they have quick disconnects, but it sure looks like add-on stuff, not factory.

I will grab a picture this evening or tomorrow.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #20  
If it is set up from the factory the 3rd spool is actavited by twisting the top of the joy stick for the loader if you look under the machine there should be 3 sections in the control valve also. there are kits to convert it from 2 to 3 spool also the part # are FP472 & FP470 & 9849905 are the numbers about $2000 for them all