Ford 6.2L V8

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #21  
Diamond Pilot, you keep trashing the 3/4 ton hemi you had, you don't get over 1 hp per cubic inch without burning fuel. You don't make 350-400 hp without burning a lot of fuel. A gas engine will never equal a diesel in a heavy duty towing application for efficency, but that doesn't a make them a poor choice.

I never had one single problem with the Hemi engine. It ran like a top and did a ok job of towing but was no better than the 5.4L Ford I came out of. It was the rest of the truck that left me disappointed having many small items simply break. I had to put in a new AC compressor, 2 trannys and traded it needing work, and replacing the power steering pump. All this happened in the first 60K or so. I have owned all brands including GM, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan along with nearly a dozen Fords and non were ever in the shop this much except for a few recalls and a bad dash cluster. I did have a 89 Blazer that had the engine go at 30K and the transfer case 2 K later. This particular Dodge I had I would not drive more than 50 miles from home because it left me stranded too many times in the 2 years I had it.

Chris

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #22  
I've been very impressed with my 2008 Hemi with the 3.92 axles. I tow a Toyhauler weighing 10,000 lbs up Fancy Gap in Va at 65mph with no issue. Part throttle non the less! Granted it's turning 3500 to 4000 rpms on that hill but will keep up with no issue. I average 13 mpg in daily driving (50/50 City/Hwy) and 6.5mpg towing my Toyhauler. I have seen 20mpg empty on flat roads when I babied it going back and forth from Winston-Salem NC to Charlotte for several trips.

The newer (2005 up) Hemi's put out great power but power does take fuel. The 8.1 Chevy is in the same HP area (350 to 400) and thus the fuel economy is similar.

I'm OK with the 13mpg since I have 50,000 miles in less than 2 years with no issues. I purchased it for the Lifetime Bumper to Bumper Warranty. If I was buying again I'd like to have a diesel but would hate to give up the longer warranty.

also --- the Hemi's of the 1960's were totally different. Dodge/Chrysler was smart resurrecting the Hemi name since that means power. The new Hemi's put out as much or more than the old so the name is still true. Not quite as "Hemispherical" as the old but also less picky. Still requires plugs too often (16 plugs and needs changing at 30K miles)...

As for comparing the Dodge 5.7 Hemi to a Ford 5.4L -- that is a joke. The Hemi has 50 more hp. I've towed with both and the Ford 5.4 is not comparable unless it's just in a field picking up hay. The 5.4L is better than it used to be and supposedly is much better for 2009 (320 hp now was 300 or 260 hp).

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #23  
Maybe we need to start a thread on the Hemi so we can talk about the 6.2 Ford.

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #24  
That's your opinion but its funny how you always jump all over the 5.4L.

Back to the Hemi. Its a great race car engine but really should have never been put into the truck.

I always jump on the 5.4l because I have plenty of towing and driving experience with it and there-fore have a strong and accurate description of it. Just how every engine/truck discussion includes your opinion of the RAM 2500 HEMI. I don't know where you get the race car engine crap from but the HEMI was made and designed for the RAM truck as a TRUCK engine and with more power and torque at just about any RPM then the other "truck" engines, it shows. Just because it makes a great race engine too means nothing, let's see the others build a motor that has strong low-end torque with a 6,200 RPM redline.

BTW, don't you own a Nissan Titan now. I am surprised you are not saying how much better that truck is then anything else now that you own one... :rolleyes:

JESSE1 said:
Maybe we need to start a thread on the Hemi so we can talk about the 6.2 Ford.
Your right, I take the blame for this one going off course.

On topic, I am excited for this engine and can't wait for it to replace the 5.4l in the Super Duty series. I think Ford makes a great truck and with a few years of proven reliability in this motor I would buy one, but with 90k on my truck with nothing more then oil changes and a set of tires. I would buy another RAM first. :D

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #25  
Yes, I do own a Titan. Drove them all before buying except for GM back in May. Will not own another GM because of the whole gubment thing. Anyway, hands down I fell the Titan is the best 1/2 ton with the F-150 second followed by the Tundra then the Dodge. Strictly just opinion.

My first experience with a Titan was in 2007 when I sold a 9,500# boat to a guy from Va. He along with his dad and brother came to pick it up and we took it for a lake trial. He had never towed anything before, noting, so I drove the Titan the first 15 miles with him watching me plan stops, make turns, ect then we switched seats for the remainder of the 75 mile trip. At this time I had my 2004 F-250 diesel which his brother drove and followed us to the lake. When we got to the lake his brother said how much he like my Diesel and would trade his Hemi in a instant. They called me that evening Pittsburgh saying they were in a hotel and his brother now wanted a Titan as I did. He could not believe how it tugged around the load. I walked away thinking the same and new someday I would own one.

Back to the 6.2 Ford.

Chris

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #26  
Yes, I do own a Titan. Anyway, hands down I fell the Titan is the best 1/2 ton
Chris

:D Ha Ha Ha! :D I knew it!

You are one of those guys who thinks everything they own is the best and nothing can possibly be better. Wow, so a guy you know rode in a new Ford diesel and said he would trade his HEMI for one "in an instant". Yeah most people would when talking about towing. I would too and I own one. It wouldn't be a Powerstroke but the fact that you keep comparing the HEMI to a diesel is uplifting. :D What a joke!

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #27  
I'm very interested in the Ford 6.2L. 450hp sounds reallllllllly good!

Of course if I towed more than 25% of the time then I'd still go diesel. No big hp gas motor gets good mpg...

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #28  
I bought a new F150 about two months ago with the 5.4 and have been impressed by it so far. I have towed my tractor with it several times and it seems more than adequate. Also it I am somewhat glad I got the 5.4 near the end of its run maybe any problems have been resolved. It seems these truck brand threads always get ugly. I am a Ford truck man all the way but I don't feel the need to bash another person's ride.

/ Ford 6.2L V8 #29  
:D Ha Ha Ha! :D I knew it!

You are one of those guys who thinks everything they own is the best and nothing can possibly be better. Wow, so a guy you know rode in a new Ford diesel and said he would trade his HEMI for one "in an instant". Yeah most people would when talking about towing. I would too and I own one. It wouldn't be a Powerstroke but the fact that you keep comparing the HEMI to a diesel is uplifting. :D What a joke!

Are you related to Builder?;) I buy what is best in my eyes, hence the 2 Ford Diesels, the Titan, and the little Saturn. I made a mistake with the Dmax and Hemi I owned. They were not a good fit for me and my business. Remember, I tow 10,000 miles a year or more with the smallest load being 7,000# upto 25,000#.

I am sure you did the same with your vehicles. You would not buy something that did not fit your needs and you felt was the best buy for you? If you did then you need help. See, that is the reason I bought the Titan this May over the Ford after owning so many for 12 trouble free years. It may bite me in the azz but I feel the Titan was hands down the best truck in the 1/2 ton class. I am not bashing anyone's choice, you are the one who brought the Hemi into the Ford discussion. I clearly stated that my Hemi engine gave me zero issues. The rest of the truck was pure junk! The truck drank more gas compared to the 5.4 Ford I came out of and gave me no noticeable difference towing, which I had stated. Yes, it had more pep unloaded, hence my race car engine comment, but was no better towing. Did get me to the dealer quick when no tow was need tough so I guess that was a good thing.:D

Chris