Oil & Fuel Ford 600 Gas in my Oil

/ Ford 600 Gas in my Oil #1  

ft601rookie

Tractor
Ford 601
I'm no mechanic, just fairly handy at mechanical stuff. Can anyone tell me why my Ford 640 has gasoline in the crankcase? Do I need a valve job, or adjustment? Thanks in advance!

/ Ford 600 Gas in my Oil #2  
ck the carb is it hard to start black smoke take the air inlet tube off at the carb and see if gas there

/ Ford 600 Gas in my Oil
Thanks for your reply! No black smoke, and starts easy if it doesn't flood out first. A little history. This winter the engine started chugging and would flood out unless I choke the shut-off valve to almost all the way closed. It was suggested then that I rebuild the carb, and another person asked of the float was leaking. So I took the carb apart and the float seemed pretty air tight. I did order a rebuild kit and changed out almost all the parts except the float, but I did order a new float just in case. It ran great for while after the rebuild, but now it is doing the same thing, after only running about an hour or 2 at the most since the rebuild. I think now I should put in the new float. Also I guess I need to start using the shut-off valve every time I shut down the engine from now on. Another blogger said the gravity siphon flow from the carb will pour into the cylinder heads for a time after the engine quits running. Now that I know this I will use the shut-off valve to kill the engine before turning the key switch off. Any other input is welcome. Thanks to All!

/ Ford 600 Gas in my Oil #4  
Usually the cause is the mechanical fuel pump that draws fuel from the tank and feeds it to the carb,
The flexible diaphragm cracks and fuel enters the crankcase. Many engines will run without the pump if the tank level is kept high so you could bypass the pump and see if the problem re occurs.
Dont drive with gas in the oil as you are looking for major engine damage.
Pumps are not expensive so it is usually just easiest to replace them when you have this problem.
You could have a second problem with the carb.
Dave M7040

/ Ford 600 Gas in my Oil #5  
There is no fuel pump on a 640 Ford. A sticking float is a common problem on those.

/ Ford 600 Gas in my Oil
There is no fuel pump on a 640 Ford. A sticking float is a common problem on those.[/QUOTE

I changed out the float (she purrs now), so everything in the carb is pretty much new. Thanks Mucho!