Ford 601 Overheating

/ Ford 601 Overheating #1  

swampdog

Tractor
Ford 601 Workmaster
I have a Ford 601 Workmaster and every time use the Tractor for 11/2 to 2 hrs the Engine will overheat. I can watch the Temperature Guage slowly rise as I am working until it overheats. Any suggestions?

/ Ford 601 Overheating #2  
I assume you have done the easy things first...
Is the cooling system full of radiator fluid?
Is the radiator screen(s) clean?
Is the radiator itself clean? Blow it out if not.

If all that's ok, check the belt(s) for the waterpump and the fan, make sure they're not slipping.
Can you confirm the waterpump is actually pumping the proper amount of fluid? Sometimes they can break off a couple of vanes and lose some pumping volume.

If those are ok then.....
Flow test the radiator?? Make sure it's not clogged up internally.
Checked the thermostat already? You can put it in a pot with a temperature probe for cooking, heat the water up to boiling, and watch to see if it opens, and at what temperature. Compare that to what the service manual says it should be.

If all that checks out, then it might be clogged or collapsed hose? Or, could be a clogged up port in the water jacket inside the block?

There's some other things that can cause it to overheat such as timing set wrong (at least on a gas engine). I think the 601 is diesel though??

Hopefully one of those easier fixes will get it corrected. Good luck!

/ Ford 601 Overheating #3  
There's not much to add to Kebo's answer, but I would add that if you have a shrouded radiator, it is sometimes hard to clean out to the outer edges of the core and dirt gets trapped there. If you don't have a shroud, you probably should. Sometimes they get bent into the fan and people take them out. That's a big mistake.

A final check would be the thermostat. It could be old and not opening all the way up. That would cause the problems you described too. Kebo mentioned checking in boiling water, but also check that it opens enough to not restrict flow.

/ Ford 601 Overheating #4  
Check kebo's first 4 suggestions 1) radiator full (inch below cap) 2) radiator screen clear(if equipped) 3) Radiator build up cleared (grass, mud, insects etc in fins) 4) proper fan belt tension (1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection by hand).
If the above does not cure the overheat then get a non contact thermometer and verify the engine temp is indeed going up. The gauge or sending can fail with age.
Next I'd check the radiator then thermostat (check to see if upside down and open fully) then water pump.

/ Ford 601 Overheating #5  
I've seen old tractor water pumps last so long the impeller was worn down to a nub and little flow was produced. Have you check the amount of flow?

Given that you can work it for over an hour and it is fine, I suspect that your radiator fins are getting clogged with debris. You should wash them out good. Some of the new replacement radiators have automotive fins. They are closer together and will fill with field debris (chaf, seeds, grass, etc) and cause overheating.

/ Ford 601 Overheating #6  
only thing I can add is to check the sender bulb and gauge too.. won't be the first time I saw a gauge show hotter than a candy thermometer did..

soundguy

/ Ford 601 Overheating
Thanks for all the good suggestions, I'll give them a try in the next few days.Hopefully it is something simple.

/ Ford 601 Overheating #8  
Getting the radiator cleaned deep into the core is taught, you may need to remove it from the tractor.
BTW, you did not say what your doing that causes the overheat.

/ Ford 601 Overheating #9  
i've found that if there is alot of dirt int he fins, you can squirt down with engine cleaner and let set.. then squirt down with alot of dish detergent.. add some water.. let set.. then hose out from front to back.. usually softens it all iup.

soundguy