Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem
UPDATE: I had a little time to work on the PTO problem today and here are my observations. Filed a little on the shaft hoping it would help, but didn't. I put the shaft back in and the lever moves back and forth about 2-3 inches but will not completely disengage. Which is the opposite of my original problem, I couldn't get it to go in gear before.The PTO is spinning all the time and can't be disengaged. I took it back apart and with the 4 bolts removed that hold the PTO shaft in place I moved the PTO lever back and forth and when the lever is almost to the fully disengaged position it pushed the shaft out the back of the tractor about 3/4". I then removed the shaft completely and put some grease in the splines so I could tell how far onto it the gear was going, about 1". My unprofessional opinion is that due to the slight twist in the PTO shaft it is preventing the gear from moving back and forth freely on the PTO shaft to completely engage and disengage the PTO. I will have a new PTO shaft one day next week to try. Does this make sense to anyone?

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem #12  
yep. theat twist, even though it is slight, is eating up all the clearance that the sliding coupler has from side to side of the splines.. it's exactly what I expected.

more filing would likely yeild a working piee, albiet one without a good full fit.. an ok temp farm fix.. but you are doing it right if replacing the shaft.

soundguy

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem
FINAL UPDATE:
Finally I had time to install the new PTO shaft yesterday and it works great. The PTO shifts easier than it ever did before which leads me to believe that it has always had a slight twist until I made it worse when I hit the big rock that put more twist in it. With the new shaft it goes in and out of gear very easily. Thanks to all who offered help.

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem #14  
glad to hear it.

lucky for you it wan't an N series, or that twist would have made you cut the shaft ahead and possibly behind the pump to get it all out.

soundguy

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem #15  
FINAL UPDATE:
Finally I had time to install the new PTO shaft yesterday and it works great. The PTO shifts easier than it ever did before which leads me to believe that it has always had a slight twist until I made it worse when I hit the big rock that put more twist in it. With the new shaft it goes in and out of gear very easily. Thanks to all who offered help.

Have seen no mention of sheer bolt or slip clutch problem that led to your twisted shaft. Hopefully you have corrected that issues so you don't have to keep a spare shaft in stock ;' >

Dennis

Brotherhood of the busted PTO's
(in my case the previous owner had replaced a butter bolt on the mower with a grade 8 machine bolt and I had to fix all sorts of stuff)

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem #16  
i had asked about that before when he said he hit something that was able to stal the tractor.. it really shouldn't have been able to with proper shear protection.

it also sounds like the shaft already had a slight twist in it, and got worse on the last 'hit'.

I hope he DOES address the shear bolt issue before he damages any other parts though.

soundguy

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem #17  
Soundguy...you sound like the guy I need to talk to.....I have a 1450 Ford tractor and the PTO is very hard to engage and when the brush hog hits even tall grass it jumps right out of gear. If I hold the lever forward very hard I can get it to stay engaged and then it starts to jump a lot so I pulled it out of gear (PTO) to avoid grinding teeth or whatever is inside there....IS there an adjustment for the PTO engagement lever or do you think I have some kind of internal problem.
Any held someone can give me will be appreciated.

/ Ford 601 Workmaster PTO Problem #18  
is ther ein / out play on the pto shaft ( check with machine off )

if so.. that thrust play will walk most pto dog clutches out of engagement, eventually chew the splined sliding collar and end of the shaft.. and many times mushroom the end of the shaft from it banging back.

post back.

a 1450? not familiar with it..