Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up

/ Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up #11  
first determine if the ammeter is even hooked up correctly.

alt charge stud to one sode of amp meter.

wire that runs key switch and wire that runs lamps also on that side of the ammeter.

other side fo the ammeter tot he battery.

that gives you net charge / discharge.

the 500 rpm turn on sounds ok. most of them turn on about 350+ depending on pulley size..e tc.

a volt meter vest on bat before start, and then at throttle with 194 lamp off will tell you if the battery is being charged... irreguardless if the ammeter is hooekd up correctly.

most ammeters today are shunt voltmeters.. iven if they don't read.. they usually pass current thru the shunt.

post back

/ Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up
That was fast! I'm headed on a trip for a week so it will be a week from Saturday before I get back there. I'll give that a try. Thanks so much for the help.

Steve

/ Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up #13  
i'm mobile.. so I check in all day... 4-5 days a week, and a few times on the weekend..

first determine if the ammeter is even hooked up correctly.

alt charge stud to one sode of amp meter.

wire that runs key switch and wire that runs lamps also on that side of the ammeter.

other side fo the ammeter tot he battery.

that gives you net charge / discharge.

the 500 rpm turn on sounds ok. most of them turn on about 350+ depending on pulley size..e tc.

a volt meter vest on bat before start, and then at throttle with 194 lamp off will tell you if the battery is being charged... irreguardless if the ammeter is hooekd up correctly.

most ammeters today are shunt voltmeters.. iven if they don't read.. they usually pass current thru the shunt.

post back

Well, SG, you were exactly right. I checked the wiring and it was right. So I fired it up. At 350 RMP (light barely glowing) it was at about 13.6 Volts. Passing 450 it rose to 14.7 Volts acorss the terminals and stayed there. So, the gauge is bad and the charging system is working just fine. Thanks for all the help.

/ Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up #15  
cool deal.

those ammeters are usually shunt voltmeters.

this means the shunt is intact.. and the meter movement is simply bad.

easy to R&R

best of luck

Ran great and helped me spread 12 tons of lime before the rain came in. But the liming is DONE! Love that little ol' tractor.

/ Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up #17  
the 55-64 years are my favorite fords.. and of those.. the rowcrops.. etc..

the 55-64 years are my favorite fords.. and of those.. the rowcrops.. etc..

I was surprised when I ran my serial number (#2190) and it turns out to be a 1954. They actually started the 600 series late that year so it's an early one. I've had it for just 3 years but it's a workhorse. I only have 52 acres but it's great for my place.

Now I have to fix the shaft on the gang of discs I just bent! :(

/ Ford 640 12 Volt Conversion Clean Up #19  
yep.. I simply refer to them by model years.

otherwise.. you tell someone you have a 52 ford and they think 8n, not an early NAA... etc...

I was surprised when I ran my serial number (#2190) and it turns out to be a 1954. They actually started the 600 series late that year so it's an early one. I've had it for just 3 years but it's a workhorse. I only have 52 acres but it's great for my place.

Now I have to fix the shaft on the gang of discs I just bent! :(

Oh I understand. I was just surprised by how early this one was.