Ford 661 Proofmeter

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter #1  

Davey Schmidt

Tractor
Ford 661
Hey folks! Thanks for letting me on this forum.
Just got a Ford 661; proofmeter and a coupla other gauges don't work. I presume that the proofmeter runs off a cable going into the engine, just like on a motorcycle. Figger I can test that by disconnecting cable from meter and seeing if it spins while engine runs.
Temp gauge & fuel gauge: no idea as to fix or diagnose; need to determine if peoblem is in sending units or gauges. Please advise; Ford manual does not address this.

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter #2  
G'day find either sender wire and short to ground and the gauge should go full/hot, I would guess that if both are not working then it is a power supply problem to the gauges, I don't know about a 661 but some of the earlier fords had a voltage stabiliser on the back of he dash and if it has gone out then there will be no power to the gauges.

Jon

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter #3  
If it is anything like my '58 861D Ford, the cable connects to the rear of the hydraulic pump. The pump is driven by a gear on the rear of the cam shaft. My cable drive fork that turns my cable end at the pump was worn out and had to be replaced. proofmeter drive.jpg

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter #4  
G'day find either sender wire and short to ground and the gauge should go full/hot, I would guess that if both are not working then it is a power supply problem to the gauges, I don't know about a 661 but some of the earlier fords had a voltage stabiliser on the back of he dash and if it has gone out then there will be no power to the gauges.

Jon

Wow...

there aren't any electronic gauges on these old tractors!

the tach is run off a drive on the hyd pump ( not the engine ).

the temp gauge is a bulb in the head.

oil gauge is from a fitting on the block beside the hyd pump. ( boudan gaue )

if any of the gauges have a wire from them.. it is illumination to be hooked to the headlamp switch.

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter
The cable does not turn at the meter. Doesn't seem to be hooking up correctly at the drive end.

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter #6  
The cable does not turn at the meter. Doesn't seem to be hooking up correctly at the drive end.

Take drive cable loose from hyd. pump and make sure the cable is OK and not broken. If it is, then most likely the cable drive in the end of the hydraulic pump is bad. That was my problem with my 861D.
Ford 801 Parts - Gauges
FDS1587.jpg
FDS3266.jpg

/ Ford 661 Proofmeter #7  
Take drive cable loose from hyd. pump and make sure the cable is OK and not broken. If it is, then most likely the cable drive in the end of the hydraulic pump is bad. That was my problem with my 861D.
Also check if with cable attached to proofmeter, spin the cable by hand at the opposite lower end to see if proof meter reacts; could be a problem in the proofmeter itself.