Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged.

/ Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged. #11  
I tried to stop it by wedging a 2x4 up against the shaft to see if it had force behind it.It just ground a big notch in it. The owner is going to hook a bush hog on it and see if it running it a little will help
The PTO discs are probably okay, it’s just that there is no way to stop it.

I have a 4610 with a bad brake, a little different setup, but it turns slowly with my big mower on it.

/ Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged.
The PTO brake is worn out probably from shutting the PTO off at mid or full speed
Is the brake in the back by the PTO or under the seat? thanks

/ Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged.
The 3pt topcover under the seat comes off. Access is great once it is off

It may be possible to access the adjustment and/or have a look at it from the LH access plate (round plate on the side of rear axle).
Thanks

Nice 5 gallon finish lol Where is the rest of the hood? 3 Layers of paint sandblasted off Blue/Yellow/Blue again. The hood and the decals are the final touch when all the bugs are worked out

Attachments

• tempImageB5MT0K.png
    tempImageB5MT0K.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 20230815_122518.jpg
    20230815_122518.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • tempImageMXOuJ8.png
    tempImageMXOuJ8.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 48
   / Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged. #15  
Tom
If my feeble memory is correct it the cover with lift arms shown in last picture where finish painted blue. Probably will scratch that nice paint job taking the cover off.

/ Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged. #16  
You can live with a a failed PTO clutch, not life or death, just have to be cognizant that the stub will always rotate (from parasitic friction) that the clutch brake overcomes and stops. Consequently, when attaching an implement, STOP the engine ENGAGE the PTO lever with the tractor in NEUTRAL and hook it up. The implement not engaged will keep the PTO from rotating (probably slowly maybe) until you engage the PTO drive. It's not the end of the world by any means, but if you do fix it, get yourself an Over Running Coupler and install it on the PTO shaft and then hook up your implement.

The over running clutch is simply a ratcheting clutch that allows any implement that don't have a built in one way clutch (which most all shredders and mowers don't) to freewheel without driving the PTO stub and destroying the clutch itself. Tractor supply has them and I don't know what your PTO power is but I bought mine from Allied Tractor Supply online because the ones at TS are not rated for the PTO output I have. Most are rated for under 50 horsepower, mine is rated at 100 horse PTO output and they are internally greaseable as well. I did have to shorten my implement's PTO shafts a bit on both my flat back Land Pride shredder as will as my Land Pride bat wing because the over running coupler adds about 6" to the overall shaft length. No big deal however. You don't want the driven PTO to not have articulating clearance or it will eat up your stub shaft seal and possibly the internal drive as well.

Good luck...

You can live with a a failed PTO clutch, not life or death, just have to be cognizant that the stub will always rotate (from parasitic friction) that the clutch brake overcomes and stops. Consequently, when attaching an implement, STOP the engine ENGAGE the PTO lever with the tractor in NEUTRAL and hook it up. The implement not engaged will keep the PTO from rotating (probably slowly maybe) until you engage the PTO drive. It's not the end of the world by any means, but if you do fix it, get yourself an Over Running Coupler and install it on the PTO shaft and then hook up your implement.

The over running clutch is simply a ratcheting clutch that allows any implement that don't have a built in one way clutch (which most all shredders and mowers don't) to freewheel without driving the PTO stub and destroying the clutch itself. Tractor supply has them and I don't know what your PTO power is but I bought mine from Allied Tractor Supply online because the ones at TS are not rated for the PTO output I have. Most are rated for under 50 horsepower, mine is rated at 100 horse PTO output and they are internally greaseable as well. I did have to shorten my implement's PTO shafts a bit on both my flat back Land Pride shredder as will as my Land Pride bat wing because the over running coupler adds about 6" to the overall shaft length. No big deal however. You don't want the driven PTO to not have articulating clearance or it will eat up your stub shaft seal and possibly the internal drive as well.

Good luck...
Thanks as I remember I had one on an 8N I had because the bush hog would push the tractor when you tried to stop

Tom
If my feeble memory is correct it the cover with lift arms shown in last picture where finish painted blue. Probably will scratch that nice paint job taking the cover off.
I know there goes the "Show Tractor" Trophys :(

/ Ford 6610 PTO will not shut off. It just slows down a little bit when disengaged. #19  
Well PTO spinning effect Show tractor? Our old 5000 would some times when started other times not. Would not stop spinning with out load once PTO was engaged though. Farmed with it that way for many years. 5600 was less trouble some but still ran that way for years. They both saw a lot of PTO work

Well PTO spinning effect Show tractor? Our old 5000 would some times when started other times not. Would not stop spinning with out load once PTO was engaged though. Farmed with it that way for many years. 5600 was less trouble some but still ran that way for years. They both saw a lot of PTO work
Because the the great paint job on the cover will be scratched when removing it to repair the PTO

Last edited: