Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #1  

Kaliburz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 60, 3020, 2030, 2240, 2640, Farmall A
I'm doing some research... The "older" Fords, post 1965 up till right before they switched to "New Holland" styles..

Am I correct that the twin stick 8 speed manual transmission, certain ones, had a creeper option available? I was comparing a Ford 4000 w/ a Select O Speed to the 8 speed listed, the SOS has more 'variation' for ground speed. We have a grape harvester that uses a Ford w/ a SOS, and the gear we use is 3rd, 4th, 5th (when light, but way fast...wished there was a gear between 4 & 5). According to TractorData, SOS 3rd is close to 8 speed slow 1st/fast 2nd gear; SOS 4th is about 8 speed slow 2nd...

I ask, since I was browsing Youtube for Chisholm Ryder vids and found one where the old SOS was replaced w/ a twin stick (assuming 8 speed). Any how, I know there is a creeper type 8 speed and wonder if anyone has information on it's ground speed and compatibility w/ that rear end/axle. I think they said the tractors on those grape harvesters were sometimes Ford 3000 rears w/ 4000 3 cylinder engines.....

The parts supply and knowledgeable mechanics to repair the old Select O Speed transmission is getting short. A gear alternative is appealing....just keeping my options open. (This harvester is the one that we refit w/ a Ford 4630 non turbo engine few years back).

Thanks.

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #2  
rickb is probably yhr man to ask.

i've seen a few guys with 3000 based grape pickers. they were using sos trans as well.

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #3  
Ford made an aux. 3 spd trans that went ahead of the main trans. Here is a link to F/NH parts book page:Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors.

I have a similar one in my '65 Ford 3 cyl./straight 4 spd. I'm guessing it made a 10% to 15% reduction in ground speed, which it needed badly. I'm thinking one of these ahead of an 8 speed may get you in the ball park. FINDING one may be the problem. I really lucked out finding mine. A NOS, still in box at a dealer in the middle of no where. And I just happened to be working in that area, and working straightening a creek along the road at the dealer owner's farm.

The year was 2003, and had been setting on his shelf since 1973. When I inquired about if one of the 2000's he had for parts would happen to have one, or if he'd ever seen one, he just got a big smile. He told me I wouldn't believe it, but he had a brand new one. He'd just opened the box the week before, to make sure all of the parts were there.

The best part, he sold it for the 1973 price, what he had in it. He showed me the original inventory tag with the dealer cost on it. Right at $900.00.

I ran that part number above (trans. kit #) across Google, and got 3 hits. One came up at Meyers of Wengerstown, PA., but when I ran it on their site, nothing showed.

Bad thing is, most parts show N/A for this tranny. I kept my input shaft for my 2000 for just in case it decides to have pups...

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option
Okay, maybe that's a bust idea then......

I looked on tractor data again...there was another tranny listed for the later 4630 Ford's (90-99 years).

Transmission: Dual-Power
Type: partial power shift
Gears: 16 forward and 8 reverse
Clutch: dry disc
Dual-Power provides a push-button power shift between direct drive and a lower range.

Now that transmission I found on the later 4630's but would it fit and work in the older rear ends (ie 3000/4000).....heck, I have a 4630 engine right now in the thing.

I'm just doing research right now....keeping options open.

Edit- I think I had my timeline off....looking at the above linked website, under Ford 4630NO (Narrow Orchard), they had a 8x8 w/ creeper....maybe this is the tranny I was thinking about ????? Granted 1990 isn't vintage anymore.....

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #5  
I"m not aware of any pre grannies for the twin stick or other dual clutch models

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #6  
Okay, maybe that's a bust idea then......

I looked on tractor data again...there was another tranny listed for the later 4630 Ford's (90-99 years).

Transmission: Dual-Power
Type: partial power shift
Gears: 16 forward and 8 reverse
Clutch: dry disc
Dual-Power provides a push-button power shift between direct drive and a lower range.

Now that transmission I found on the later 4630's but would it fit and work in the older rear ends (ie 3000/4000).....heck, I have a 4630 engine right now in the thing.

I'm just doing research right now....keeping options open.

Edit- I think I had my timeline off....looking at the above linked website, under Ford 4630NO (Narrow Orchard), they had a 8x8 w/ creeper....maybe this is the tranny I was thinking about ????? Granted 1990 isn't vintage anymore.....

I don't know if this helps but for 1968 3000's there was an over under 12 -speed listed that appears to be based on the 4 speed with direct , over and under drive- Ford 3000 trans options 001.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #7  
The above tranny is what I have in my 2000. It made a big difference, but yet not exactly down to a granny speed like I'd have wished for, like to use a 3 pt. tiller. But the OD is awesome for on the road..!!

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #8  
the problem with pre trannies on a 4spd is that they slow down the pto as well.

the true 8spd twin stick is a decent tiller trans.

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option
the problem with pre trannies on a 4spd is that they slow down the pto as well.

the true 8spd twin stick is a decent tiller trans.

Well, slowing the PTO won't do. I think this idea is a bust, at least using the "8 Speed" from that era. I might have to focus on "newer" transmissions, possibly from 1980 and on. That "Dual-Power" was made in 1990 for a 4630 standard....with 16 forward gears, I'm sure that the first 5 gears are under 5mph...but I'll have to do some research at the local New Holland dealer (use to be Ford).

Unless someone can tell me about the newer transmissions.....

/ Ford 8 speed transmission research: creeper option #10  
The above tranny is what I have in my 2000. It made a big difference, but yet not exactly down to a granny speed like I'd have wished for, like to use a 3 pt. tiller. But the OD is awesome for on the road..!!

Oops- I had to re read your first post and it didn't click that was the same set up.
I tried the SOS for my tiller. - but with the tiller being 85" it was to much for the pto to handle without some slippage so I run it on the other tractor which is geared a little fast for tilling ground but so far it is working.