ford 801 half moon front wheel weights

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Does anyone on here know where I can find wheel weights for the front of my Ford 801? I am having a hard time trying to find them. Also, would filling the front tires with fluid really add any decent weight if I went that route? Any suggestions or ideas?

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #2  
Also, would filling the front tires with fluid really add any decent weight if I went that route? Any suggestions or ideas?
Water is 8.34 pounds per gallon, so not much help there on a big ol' tractor, but some. I once filled an old Craftsman riding mower front tires with antifreeze/water mix because the mower wanted to do wheelies every time I let the clutch out a little too quick. Just that little bit of extra weight in the front tires settled it down to a normal mower for me.

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #3  
If you really need the weight I would load the tires cause those weights are hard to find. If you are lucky enough to find them you can always unload the tires.

Kirk

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #4  
I don't know if the later model 3 cyl. 2000 wheel weights would fit or not. But, if you have an older dealer around, like established in the 50's, or early 60's, and don't have the new fancy building and such, you may want to check with them. I found an older dealer like that, that had a stack of NOS weights laying in the back corner of the lot. Many items like that were taken off the books, when new inventory taxes came to be. The best part, I got them for 1960's prices. Granted, this was 20 years ago, but, there are still a few of the old school dealers around.

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #5  
as has been said, the inside the rim weights are hard to find, but nice.

a 6x16 front will hold about 6 gallons of water and give you about 50# of weight, of water. if you ad methanol to the water, it will weigh less, depending on what you add, the weight will change, antifreeze, calcium, beet juice.. etc.

If you have access to thick scrap steel.. like 1" plate scraps and a torch / welder, and your rims have the holes for weights on them, then you can cut out some weight plates. Heck, I've seen people scab on exercise weights on a front grill made bracket.

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights
I have checked with one older dealer I thought would have them and they did not. I also contacted some local folks with these older tractors and no luck there. I have found aftermarket ones on the internet but they are wanting $190 a piece. My tire man down the road might be my best bet. I do not need a ton of weight so I might just get them filled for now. He said it would be around $125 to do both tires. I am also thinking about making a different grill/bracket to bolt on the front down the road when I get the time. I need to talk with my welder buddy.

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #7  
Another option is to hang a couple/few pie weights off the axle. When you have your welder buddy made you up a bumper you might want to consider a bracket from the top of the bumper to the back side of the axle much like the one on my 631. Without it you will have more uneven wear on your axle pin/bushing and axle hole.

Attachments

• e67c450c-e2b5-421e-8c09-ae94630bb7e6_zpsbmi73pft[1].jpg
    e67c450c-e2b5-421e-8c09-ae94630bb7e6_zpsbmi73pft[1].jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 551
  • 100_2944_zps0890d05d.jpg
    100_2944_zps0890d05d.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 358
   / ford 801 half moon front wheel weights
Good News,

I found the half moon weights. I had to drive an hour and a half today to go get them but I got them!!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

I called every friend and friends of friends and every little tractor place I could find. I finally found a New Holland dealership that had a set. He had them sitting out back on a pallet of weeds. I am glad he remembered he had them. Said they had been there for a couple of years. I paid $175 for all of them. Not sure if that was to much money but who knows how long if ever I would find someone with a set that was willing to part with them.
Determination and persistence pays off.

IMG_0574.JPGIMG_0575.JPG

I just got them put on before it got too dark. Tomorrow I am going to finish cutting the ends of the bolts off. I also had the tires filled last week so now I have good front traction to the ground. Thanks for the responses and ideas. I was about to take off two of the rear pie weights and put one on each side of the front of the tractor like KirkNJ had done. That was a really good idea.

/ ford 801 half moon front wheel weights #9  
might have been too much.. but still nice to have, as you can take them off when you want too. if needed you can still load the tires.

PS.. don't PAY someone to load your tires. If you have access to a garden hose and can buy a 6$ gallon of antifreeze and a 5$ burp valve. So for tap water and 11 $ you can load your own tires...