Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #1  

StanDavis

Wow did I learn how to get taken buying a tractor. The two mentioned above, I purchased last May or so 2011. The Ford has been a real night mare. Due mostly to power steering issues. The steering box was full of water and so far has been torn down twice to fix the valve system in there,, incredible amount of labor. The power steering pump was bad, the pistons that actuate the wheels turning ,, one had to be rebuilt,, one was replaced, Make sure the power steering works.

I understand that one of the deisel engines for the to-35 either continental or Perkins,,, no longer has parts available. Worth checking out.

The tractor guy I bought these 2 tractors from had a couple of junkyard goons,,, taking the good stuff off the tractors... example... tire chains removed. front tractor tires swapped for old truck tires,,, 2 different sizes ! Rear tires removed and turf tires put on instead. front end loader removed. .. Why did I buy it? Well the TO 35 had a rebuilt gas engine with the papers and power steering. The Ford had more horse power and a front end loader (my big mistake). Also, I was tractor crazy.

I have thoroghly enjoyed my TO 35 and did a lot of bush hogging last summer. However,, I haven't really used the Ford 851 hardly at all. A good paint job took 3 months.. So buy one with good paint. Not just some Ace Hardware spray paint put on the front end loader to make it pretty. The main body of the tractor needs good paint too.

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #3  
Good to have you aboard. Welcome. :tractor: Here's wishing you better results in the Future.

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #4  
WELCOME to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Owning/Operating Forum.

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #5  
Welcome to TBN. :thumbsup: Some feel rattle cans are all that's required, others personal choice is to tear everything down and spray. I used rattle cans on the tractor and sprayed all the skins. Worth doing once you've finished your repairs in my opinion.

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #6  
welcome.

as for paint.

I prefer to buy them unpainted. most paint jobs I see people lay on a machine they are selling is just junk.

while it takes days to weeks worth of hours to prep metal for painting.. and another coupl ehours to mask and disassemble.. once you are there.. you can fully paint a UT and down size tractor with a few good coats in a couple hours, and have something to be proud of.

good luck.. or better luck anyway.

them fords are tough.. once you get her going she will work for you. lack of maintenance is a killer on them.

don't feel bad.. i've bought worse.. i got one that took parts from about 5-7 other donor tractors to bring her back. easilly trippled my initial investment into her to go from zero to hero!

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #7  
I guess buying from a "Junk" yard might have been your first clue...:laughing:

Hope you get them sorted out.

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #8  
I understand that one of the deisel engines for the to-35 either continental or Perkins,,, no longer has parts available. Worth checking out.

Parts for Perkins diesels are among the easiest to find and cheapest in the industry, not to mention their being stone reliable if properly maintained over the years.

The "other diesel" was a "Standard" brand. (not Continental) Continental made the gas engines used in that tractor. They're a breeze to find parts for also. Standard Motor Company diesels....not so much....

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas
The letters on the to-35 deisel engine block are hard to read but I think it has the letters 'ern' in it for sure,, I thought is said pernet

/ Ford 851 + MF TO-35 gas #10  
When you buy a 50 year old machine you've got to expect to do some wrenching.