Ford 861 PTO not engaging

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #21  
carrier bearing and bearing carrier are 2 different things!

I'm talking about the bearing carrier that is the cast flange on the back of the tractor with 4 bolt holes in it.. it captures the pto shaft and bearing assembly.

sounds like your shaft may have a twist at the end of the spline.. or it is mushroomed.

Carrier bearing is a free standing bearing and mount like you see on an open long driveshaft setup.. :)

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #22  
Yes, I was referring to the bearing carrier at the end of the shaft. And, just so I'm clear, we're talking about a Ford 850, not the 861 that was the original discussion of this thread?

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #23  
matters none. same pto assy.. same shifter.. only difference is one is got a dual stage clutch ahead of it, thus a 2 piece input shaft .. etc..

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #24  
Soundguy, I did what you suggested: I removed the 4 bolts from the PTO shaft (and removed the PTO lever from the side), then put a screwdriver in the PTO holee and pounded on it with a hammer. It wouldn't budge. The PTO would come out about half an inch, then stop. Do you have any other suggestions?

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #25  
what's the sliding coupler do?

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #26  
I'm not sure what you mean by a sliding coupler. The pto shaft extends out from the tractor about 6 inches. And it will move another half inch when I remove the four bolts and pull on the shaft. On the side of the tractor where the pto lever is, when I remove the lever, there is a shaft that also moves the same distance as the pto shaft.

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #27  
.. have you got the bearing carrier moving with the pto shaft?

the sliding coupler is at the rear...

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #28  
Yes, the bearing carrier moves with the pto shaft.

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #29  
does the bearing carrier move enough to clear the aft of the rear housing?