Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #121  
and that is really bad to do on something with a computer

Wasn't the pull the bat cable trick was for checking generator machines. cars and stuff?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #122  
1 step forward and 2 steps back :)

I am typing this from the store. They are having a heck of a time switching the pulleys for me. Glad I'm not doing it. They bare having a hard time finding the 3 pole solenoid... surprising. I thought it was very common.

Sometimes the biggest problem getting a counter person to pick a 10si other than amperage has to do with how the plug in is (clocked) that's the little connector opening for the #1 &#2 terminal connector - that also instantly tells you its an internally regulated alternator, the externally regulated ones have more of a square opening and if memory serves marked f-field and r-relay? chevy is clocked in a different position than a pontiac, there are only 4 positions they can be positioned in, why is this important, it isn't- on a tractor anyway but sales people are generally looking at application...Glad you are having a smaller pulley installed -lights on while idling.. Also the 63 amp is a good size- should be fine for an 8N

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Soo... got the alternator and solenoid installed.

Good news -- solenoid seems to be working because the starter wasn't sticking when I was trying to start.

Bad news -- a) it wouldn't ignite and b) it seems the pulley on the new alternator is "wider" or "less deep" which means the alternator had to be moved in closer to the engine. With it configured this way the belt is touching the distributor. My old pulley would not come off the old distributor, despite many attempts with a wise, hammer, penetrating oil, etc. in the auto parts store. Looks like I will need to source a new pulley.

I am going to research the non-ignition tonight -- it was 11 PM and below freezing. Thanks for all of the help!

img20130225221752.jpg

img20130225221758.jpg

img20130225221802.jpg

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #124  
I don't see new ignition wires!!??:shocked: In fact if that is electrical tape on the wire in the last pic, it would appear that it has ridden too close to the belt! I hate it when things get too close like that:mad: while the ignition wires didn't turn out to be the root of the problem, after seeing the photo above, I am convinced the old ones aren't helping.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Ted -- my "rebuild kit" is still in the mail. It will have a new dist cap, plug wires, etc. etc. I don't have the parts to do that yet.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #126  
It appears as if the diameter of the pulley on the new alternator is too small. The 8n was originally equipped with a generator and on most generators I've seen, including the on on my MF-135 tractor, the pulley is a larger diameter.

MasseyWV -- I think that is the problem. I just need to find the exact pulley and a source for it now.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #128  
MasseyWV -- I think that is the problem. I just need to find the exact pulley and a source for it now.

Wow that is a small pulley, bummer about the belt rubbing- it sure looks like it will spin fast enough. Hopefully someone will chime in with a source for a larger one.
The parts store wouldn't have one off a core that's just a little larger would they? Glad the starters working now.

The parts store did not have another. I am going to call around and see what some local tractor places have in stock. I hear 2" or greater will fit -- I don't know the diameter of the "knub" on the alternator, however.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #130  
Okay PorkChopsMmm, I understand. Being at the mercy of "mail order" for things is a drag.

The new ignition items will give you more confidence in the machine. Once you get all of this worked out you will certainly know your tractor much, much better and you will have the satisfaction of clearing up all these bugs.

I do hope you get it operational soon. I have learned somethings that will allow me to help a friend with a 2n get his running regularly. This has been a good thread!