Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #481  
no need to mess with it in hard pouring rain in the middle of a lake. it woill only make you madder. :)

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks Soundguy. Wise advice.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #483  
Maybe you need to add a small boat
and outboard motor to your farm.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
After reading some other forum posts I think it is wise that I a) replace or clean the plugs and b) rebuild the carb. Just like you all have recommended.

May not be my only problem but may be a good long term thing to do. I will check the distributor first just because it is just sitting there. Should be able to get to it tomorrow night.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #485  
After reading some other forum posts I think it is wise that I a) replace or clean the plugs and b) rebuild the carb. Just like you all have recommended.

May not be my only problem but may be a good long term thing to do. I will check the distributor first just because it is just sitting there. Should be able to get to it tomorrow night.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Must have been flooded. Started right up tonight before I pulled the distrib. Even drove it for a bit and used the carry all. Checking timing now.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #487  
keep us posted.

Well, first things. The cork seals on the distrib were pretty wet so that may have been the cause for not starting (although I had spark?). The tarp was blowing around during all of the rain we got and it could have soaked everything.

On to the timing -- definitely out of wack per the manual. Doing the whole straight edge and pencil in the whole trick at 1/4" gap the points are closed -- manual says they need to be open at this point. Updating now.

Can someone explain how the plate on the left hand side adjusts timing? I just loosed the screw, moved the plate down, and it seemed like nothing happened.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #490  
that screw is issentially moving the breakers a tad