Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #521  
do checkthe manifold for a piece of gasket.

also.. throttle shaft packing may be out sucking air at the butterfly

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #522  
OK, used carb cleaner and sprayed all around the manifold -- no change in engine speed or sputtering. Sprayed it where the carb meets the manifold -- bingo -- engine smoothed out. I've got a new gasket on there but one of the bolts that comes out of the carb is stripped, or slightly stripped. The nut will thread on but you can never tighten it -- it keeps unthreading itself. Anyone know if this bolt can be taken out and replaced? I have also heard of taking some copper stranded wire and tightening the nut down with a little wire wound around the bolt will usually allow it to be tightened. Thoughts?

Before I do any of this I will take the carb off and make sure the manifold surface is clean and flat.
Do you have a tap and die set? if it is a stud- run the correct die over it, if the nut is shot get a nylock style... and if you don't have that, a standard ( new ) nut with some fishing line wrapped a couple of times around the nut before you thread it on - or a lock or even star washer....or some locktight...
PorkChopsMmm the manifold to carb or carb surface could be warped excessively I would put a straight edge on each flange surface and check for straightness.
If warped (and i may take some heat for this ) I would carefully file flat or even- if your careful, find a way there are many low tech but effective ways to surface the flanges...
The other thing that may help is to copy the flange gasket, you have from the kit and copy it in a thicker and more compressible gasket material or even stack the gaskets to cure a leak, first get the fasteners fixed
You are really, getting close to having an 8N that anyone would want to own.:thumbsup:

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks sd455dan -- the encouragement certainly helps at this point. I will report back with what I find -- I am trying to button up the treehouse so I may not have the chance to mess with it until tomorrow night.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Oh great, we are getting more rain and flooding. This may take longer than I like to resolve.

OK, bought new nuts and tore the carb apart again and put in the rubber gaskets, replaced the throttle shaft, etc. Went to pop it back on and it is the stud that is slightly stripped. The stud has a 5/16-18 threaded side that threads into the carb -- the other side is 5/16-24 that goes through the manifold. My 5/16-24 side is slightly stripped -- enough to where a nut can grab the threads but when you try and tighten down the nut just pops off. I found an online source for the stud below -- TSC didn't sell it although they had a NIB carb that I could use to verify the threads.

I used a straight edge and there carb and manifold surfaces look straight and even without warp.

I am going to order this carb stud set and give it another go when it comes in the mail.

Just8Ns - Ford Tractor Parts

Thanks for the help guys.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #526  
stud kit or ho-made.. whatever works. :)

I am going to pursue a local tractor store -- shipping is $7 for a 1 oz part (1 oz per the website). I have some principles.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #528  
Check at a hradware store.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #529  
the shipping is probbaly closer to 1-5$ depending on how they ship and the rest is handeling.

but yeah... i'm guessing you can hardware stor e this easilly. just get a shank that threads into the carb.. and then you are golden. get a matching nut for atop the manifold.

that easy..

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #530  
Pork chop Try an automotive machine shop or a Jobber . If I remember right a 6 cylinder single barrel carb stud is the same size (70's ) Bruce